Perspective question - opinions sought

lytetrip

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This isn't a trick question....I am merely trying to get an objective opinion from people who understand how perspective and foreshortening can really seem to change things in images so I figured this would be a good forum to pose this question.

The series of images below are from a car traveling down a road.

Please pay special attention to the light pole labeled "light pole 1" in comparison to "VDOT camera mast".

Please look at all the images carefully one after the other as if you were approaching the poles closer and closer in a car and tell me which one you think is in front of the other.

Which is in front of the other.....the VDOT camera mast or light pole 1?

route27lie1.jpg

route27lie2.jpg

route27lie3.jpg

route27lie4.jpg

route27lie5.jpg

route27lie6.jpg

route27lie7.jpg

route27lie8.jpg

route27lie9.jpg

route27lie10.jpg

route27lie11.jpg

route27lie12.jpg

route27lie13.jpg

The VDOT pole looks to be in front of the light pole (the last few pictures show this pretty clearly, I think). What is supposed to be behind those trees?

That's a bit weird. The VDOT pole appears to obscure the light pole, yet the changing bearings suggest that the light pole could be in front of the VDOT pole - ie the VDOT pole is further away from the road cross-ways and from the viewer length-ways.

Best,
Helen

The VDOT pole looks obviously to me to be in front of the light pole from the 1st shot to the last - what gave it away to me was look how dark the VDOT pole is in relation to the light pole - I am assuming that the actual thickness of the poles is extremely close, so that means the light pole would be farther from you since it looks fainter.

Thanks for the responses!

I'll post a link to the video after I get a few more opinions.

Anyone disagree with the consensus?

A big round of applause for Helen B for engaging her brain and getting it right.

Pole #1 is in fact in front of the VDOT pole.

Allow me to introduce my friend Craig (lyte) here...

Craig likes walks along the beach, small furry animals, loves to record people on the phone without their permission and, oh, he's also the brains behind the most ridiculous 9/11 conspiracy (the plane flew OVER the Pentagon, man!) known to man except he keeps getting it all wrong.

Most reactions

Back