Phantom camera shake?

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying to take a nicer picture of our tree. I've tried several exposures between 10-30 seconds.

Camera is on a tri pod. Dog and kids are in bed, camera is set to self timer so I can't move the camera pressing shutter, photographer is sitting down as soon as shutter is pressed to avoid shaking the floor....and I'm still getting camera shake in the shot?! Huh? Help??

I'm trying to take a nicer picture of our tree. I've tried several exposures between 10-30 seconds.

Camera is on a tri pod. Dog and kids are in bed, camera is set to self timer so I can't move the camera pressing shutter, photographer is sitting down as soon as shutter is pressed to avoid shaking the floor....and I'm still getting camera shake in the shot?! Huh? Help??

Is your lens VR, or VRII? If it's VR try shutting the VR feature off.

Does your camera have a Mirror-Up function?

How sturdy is the tripod (cheap ones aren't!) ?

Is your lens VR, or VRII? If it's VR try shutting the VR feature off.
DING DING DING! We have a winner!! Thank you so much!!

Does your camera have a Mirror-Up function? How sturdy is the tripod (cheap ones aren't!) ?
Good tri pod, and mirror less camera. Thanks for the ideas though!!

If you read the lens users guide for each of your lenses, they say somewhere if VR needs or doesn't need to be turned off when the camera/lens is mounted on a tripod.
Some lenses that have VR II (usually the telephoto lenses) have a 'tripod' mode.

Nikon | Technology | VR (Vibration-Reduction)
A tripod is generally believed to prevent image blur, but camera shake can occur due to the movements of the quick-return mirror or shutter curtain, or winds. This camera shake movement has different characteristics compared to normal camera shake caused by handheld shooting. Nikon’s VR technology makes it possible to detect and compensate this type of camera shake, as well. (Note: Some VR lenses do not have this function.)

If you read the lens users guide for each of your lenses, they say somewhere if VR needs or doesn't need to be turned off when the camera/lens is mounted on a tripod. Some lenses that have VR II (usually the telephoto lenses) have a 'tripod' mode. Nikon | Technology | VR (Vibration-Reduction)

Thanks for the tip. I honestly didn't read my lens manual (I read my camera manual quite often though) I doubt I even have it anymore. I'll have to look and see if I can download a digital copy from sony.

Sony DSLRs use an in-the-camera image stabilization (IS) system, while Nikon's VR is in the lens.
Since someone earlier in the thread mentioned Nikon's VR I wrongly assumed you have Nikon gear.

In the camera IS systems have some limitations in the lens IS systems don't have.

Sony DSLRs use an in-the-camera image stabilization (IS) system, while Nikon's VR is in the lens. Since someone earlier in the thread mentioned Nikon's VR I wrongly assumed you have Nikon gear. In the camera IS systems have some limitations in the lens IS systems don't have.

Lol, I think sony calls it "steady shot" and TBH, I'm not really sure if it's a lens feature or a camera feature on mine. but I'm pretty sure it's just the lens and my camera doesn't have it. It's not a dslr, but a mirror-less so I know some features are different.

My experience is that anti shake systems that detect if they are on a tripod or not only work so well within a range of shutter speeds. Slower shutter speeds and I think the camera tends to miss that its on a tripod and thus the anti-shake tends to remain engaged (which of course when its on a stable surface thus introduces its own blurring).

My policy is if its on a tripod or otherwise very steady turn the anti-shake off. It removes any matter of error on its part and prevents it being a problem; plus you don't want it active anyway so there's no point in leaving it on.

When taking a photo of a tree remember leaves and twigs can move quite a bit even in light wind so slower shutter speeds can still be a problem in blurring those areas (but the main trunk of the tree shouldn't be swaying unless its a very thin and young tree or unless its in very strong wind of course).

My experience is that anti shake systems that detect if they are on a tripod or not .......

This may be true of the newer systems (VRII, for example). But not all the older systems have this ability. YMMV.

My experience is that anti shake systems that detect if they are on a tripod or not only work so well within a range of shutter speeds. Slower shutter speeds and I think the camera tends to miss that its on a tripod and thus the anti-shake tends to remain engaged (which of course when its on a stable surface thus introduces its own blurring). My policy is if its on a tripod or otherwise very steady turn the anti-shake off. It removes any matter of error on its part and prevents it being a problem; plus you don't want it active anyway so there's no point in leaving it on. When taking a photo of a tree remember leaves and twigs can move quite a bit even in light wind so slower shutter speeds can still be a problem in blurring those areas (but the main trunk of the tree shouldn't be swaying unless its a very thin and young tree or unless its in very strong wind of course).

Thanks for all your thoughts! I should have clarified, it was a Christmas tree, indoors! No wind to ruin the shot.
11237907573_f02affc809_b.jpg

Nice tree :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back