Philip Montgomery's Sessions Portrait for Time

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There is a stylistic resemblance, but I did not automatically think of Krupp.

Periodicals such as Time will always portray conservatives in the most unflattering light (double entendre is understood).

Monster Lighting definitely brings out the worst in us. I think Montgomery is simply interpreting his own thoughts and emotions of Sessions. The reflection upon Krupp is more happenstance than imitation.

Periodicals such as Time will always portray conservatives in the most unflattering light (double entendre is understood).
Now we're going down the political rabbit hole ...
Exactly! But since it was not I who started it, I will deflect that comment back toward Montgomery.

would you describe Newman as a young B&W street shooter that doesn't know how to light?

I wasn't familiar with that particular Newman but it seems quite sinister (maybe that's from reading the story behind it). The cover photo on Time seems harsh and stark, maybe representative of the scrutiny Session's come under.

I remember seeing Cabinet appt. hearings, etc. and most people were definite and straight forward while Sessions seemed quite testy and defensive at times. I guess time will tell. He does seem to have been under a spotlight quite a bit so the portrait seems to make sense.

Proper lighting given the subject, IMO.

Now we're going down the political rabbit hole ...
Exactly! But since it was not I who started it, I will deflect that comment back toward Montgomery.
Just because one didn't start it ... does not give you carte blanc to jump in and continue. We need to all act like adults here.

Newman wasn't exactly young by that time, and I don't think he'd be described as doing street photography. What I've seen of his seems to be more using something of the person or about their work etc. to help portray that person rather than strictly studio portraits, but they would be set up photos rather than happenstance street shots.

I THINK YOU are "seeing things that are not there", Ysarez. I did not think of the Newman shot when I saw the Sessions shot...instead I thought of a VERY unflattering shot of Sen. John McCain that was done some few years back. showing MacCain's bad facial skin issue in a most unflattering,deliberate manner, as described by the photographed, who said, admitted actually, that he lighted McCain to make him look BAD.

There is a relatively long history of photographers deliberately making unflattering photos of those who they felt opposed to; a famous shot of a Nazi party leader for example...

Most reactions

Back