Photo Tip

Spirit Vision Photography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When using polarizing filters out in the field, always spin them counter-clockwise. In doing so, you will never accidentally be unscrewing them, only have them fall off and be lost.

Desert Solitaire - resized.jpg

I know putting something on you spin it backwards a turn then spin it forward and that is to prevent cross threading whatever you are screwing in.....But this tip makes sense though I am always checking mine just to make sure it's snug.

That almost happened to me a few weeks ago while using my ND filter.

I’ve lost 3 over the years! Once when I was on vacation in Ireland and had to overpay for a new one to finish my trip.

When using polarizing filters out in the field, always spin them counter-clockwise. In doing so, you will never accidentally be unscrewing them, only have them fall off and be lost.

View attachment 264127
Common filter threads are right handed - clockwise to tighten, counter clockwise to loosen. Polarizing filters have two rings - a rear ring for attaching to, or removing from, the lens, and a front ring for adjusting polarization. If you're only adjusting polarization there is no need to turn the rear ring, and it doesn't matter which way you turn the front ring.

Common filter threads are right handed - clockwise to tighten, counter clockwise to loosen. Polarizing filters have two rings - a rear ring for attaching to, or removing from, the lens, and a front ring for adjusting polarization. If you're only adjusting polarization there is no need to turn the rear ring, and it doesn't matter which way you turn the front ring.

That is correct. But some polarizing filters are a bit stiff, and don’t spin as freely as they should, and many an unaware photographer has inadvertently lost a polarizer, not realizing that they were also un-screwing their filter during use.

DAB23A40-594B-44F4-9921-32F42814F729.jpeg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back