PHOTOGRAPHERS RIGHTS!

df3photo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.df3photo.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ok, i didnt know where I could post this so here it is...
http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm
its a lawyers website that has a downloadable handbook of photographers rights. I actually have the book posted already, ive only paged threw it but it looks pretty good and informative.
I thought this link may help out some of the beginners and refresh some that have been around awhile.

keep it legal...

It's a good thing for people to read. There are often questions here about 'what is the law concerning...'. Maybe it should be made a sticky.
Thank you df3photo.
It only applies to the USA, however. And with the current 'emergency' regarding 'terrorist threats' you might find it getting trashed.
And don't try waving it at the police in Turkey if they catch you photographing an airfield either.

yeah, taking pics around airports just isn't a good idea right about now. Last year a friend and I were taking pictures around this restaurant which is very close to an airport, we also pulled over for a minute to take a picture of a cool tunnel that goes under the take off area.... next thing I know there's a cop behind us. He was cool about it though since we really didn't even think about how it would look to other people.

anyway, that's my little story :lol:

I thought it might come in handy. I did forget to say that it is for the US only... there is probably something on the net for other countries, i would suspect...

Nytmair said:
yeah, taking pics around airports just isn't a good idea right about now. Last year a friend and I were taking pictures around this restaurant which is very close to an airport, we also pulled over for a minute to take a picture of a cool tunnel that goes under the take off area.... next thing I know there's a cop behind us. He was cool about it though since we really didn't even think about how it would look to other people.

anyway, that's my little story :lol:

Hey Dan, Welcome to my life :).

You were at the Flying Tiger restaurant at the Buffalo Airport. Love that tunnel under the runway.

Eric

Ahhh.. the inevitable quest for photographers rights... I like to think that we have no rights. As photographers it should be our responsibility to explain our selves to the proper authorities. Hertz said it best; the global community is not very merciful.

As a young photographer I would have told someone to go jump in the lake if they said the above paragraph to me. Personally, our current political climate needs more answers than we are used to. Keep it legal!!!

Hertz said it best; the global community is not very merciful.
I don't know how often Hertz encounters global communities in his photographic life.

I'm approached by dumb ass**** individuals with a superiority compexes. They don't seem very global. :lol:

I thought it might come in handy. I did forget to say that it is for the US only... there is probably something on the net for other countries, i would suspect...

Here's a UK equivalent

Only thing is - the law can vary between Scotland England and Wales so there may be some local variations to the above brochure.

How many times have people honestly been yelled at for taking pictures? Is it really that much of a problem?

It's a good thing for people to read. There are often questions here about 'what is the law concerning...'. Maybe it should be made a sticky.
Thank you df3photo.
It only applies to the USA, however. And with the current 'emergency' regarding 'terrorist threats' you might find it getting trashed.
And don't try waving it at the police in Turkey if they catch you photographing an airfield either.

Good to see you back Hertz.....

You might know your rights but the cop who drives up on you shooting the airport isn't going to know your intentions, so expect to be hassled. You might want to keep a copy of your rights handy. And your birth certificate if you want to shoot highway bridges for a coffee table book.

How many times have people honestly been yelled at for taking pictures?

only by friends so far.

Is it really that much of a problem?

I guess it is.

I myself am always over-cautious so I never got into trouble, ... which also means I lost many good chances for great pictures :(

Sometimes I am in countries where a smile opens doors (some of central america) ... or a bribe does it ...

Good to see you back Hertz.....

Sorry to say so, Charlie, but that post by Hertz was from February of 2005, so it is soon going to be two years old :(...............
This thread is ancient and I wonder how and by whom it go undug from the depths of this forum!?

I started researching this during the thread 'A girl I captured' or something where we were all talking about what's legal and what's not.

Apparently... Canada has no such 'rules' or 'laws' regarding anything.
I called my local police department and talked to their secretary about it for a while. She called back a few days later and said she couldnt find anything for me.

This 'guide' says you can take pictures of law enforcement. That's the one thing I've been told I can not take pictures of. Cops in their uniforms. I assume it's because they're scared of being blackmailed or something.
Yet on the front page of the newspaper you often see police standing around a crime scene or something.
I will have to ask exactly why next time.

I've come across quite a few websites and forums where Canadians are looking for information... but it just doesnt seem to exist.

I think if you follow basic morals and respect people and their space by asking for permission or getting model releases if those pictures will be on the internet or something then you should be ok.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back