Photography Business Books

StephyBee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone!

I'm newly registered to the forum, but not to photography. I am growing more interested in learning about the business aspects of photography and I've seen it said a dozen times and understand that the business end of photography can make or break a photographer's career. I am planning on taking some business classes at our community college as soon as I can afford to, but unfortunately it doesn't look like attending this Fall is going to be an option. I will probably be able to take classes in the Spring of next year, but in the mean time I wanted to do some learning on my own. I searched Google, bookstore websites, and even this forum for photography business book recommendations but there are so many to choose from it's overwhelming. I've gone to some of the stores to actually flip through some of the books, but none of them look to be very thorough and a lot of them focus on the "quick and easy" way to start a photography business. I don't really believe that a "quick and easy" way is really the way to a successful business, so I'm looking for more complete information.

Can anyone recommend any books that you've actually read that were helpful in aiding your understanding of the business of photography? I'd love to find a source that more thoroughly reviews the necessities of a photography business such as insurance, required taxes, and other fees that a photography business would incur. Also any book recommendations on marketing would be really appreciated! Hopefully this will give me a head start and get me ready for classes in the Springtime!

-Stephy

Taking the Leap was helpful to me in explaining more about art galleries.

There is no such animal.

The main reason being that there are many different photo markets and that one book cannot explain them all in a couple hundred pages in enough details.

The second reason is that successful pros are too busy to write a book until they are so old that they have no idea what they are saying.

However, business is business and any decent book on business wil help you. I don't have a specific title to give you because the only ones I have read were about real estate, lol. But you can most probably find what you need at the library.

You could try looking at the websites of professional photographers organizations like ASMP. I just got the current edition of their book 'Professional Business Practices in Photography' (I have an old copy somewhere...). I also just got 'Business and Legal Forms for Photographers' by Tad Crawford (which I'd gotten at the library in the past but may not be you're looking for right now).

Sharon

Last edited:
As for insurance and business licenses, etc., you can find all that in local resources. Call you local government, and call your local insurance agent.

As for a book recommendation, try to find a copy of

"Photography Your Way" - A career Guide to Satisfaction and Success by Chuck DeLaney Allworth Press, ISBN: 1-58115-024-5

Most reactions

New Topics

Back