Photography Course

Eventer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleclarke.co.nz
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In your opinions how beneficial would doing a photography be in order to go pro one day etc

Im 18 and finished school last year, currently just working full time at the moment, but I feel i need to study somthing (I didnt get uni entrance so i cant even go to uni)
But i found this course - Diploma in Photography The Photography Institute - Become a Freelance Photographer or Start an Exciting New Hobby!
So who here done a photography course?
Or what other courses have you taken in order to get the professional status etc (I was looking into journalism, architecture, Art) - Can you get there on nothing but talent and hardwork? or is it better to have a diploma in it?

Thanks in advance!

I took a photography program. I loved it and learned a lot. However, I know many amazing photographers who never went to school. I think it depends on your learning style. I also took some business courses as well to learn how to run a business.

If you want to work for someone else, get a diploma. (But good luck finding a full-time photography job working for someone else.)

If you want to work for yourself you don't need a diploma, but if so business/marketing classes are way more important than photography classes.

The vast majority of independent photography businesses that fail, fail because the business owner lacked business acumen. (In other words, the business wasn't making any money)

Yeah I see what you means, It would definatly be hard starting from scratch trying to build my own business. Which is why i wouldnt mind working for someone else I guess, I have been for the past year with equestrian (Untill recently we had a run in - totally not my fault, but anyway thats a diferent story) "having a diploma" is proof your somewhat good? and i mean id learn heaps as well. Hmm il look inot business management courses too i think, thanks!

My understanding is the photography field is flooded with people. Others might be able to chime in with better knowledge about the field than I. IMHO if you're just starting out you can pursue it avidly as a hobby (can be an expensive hobby, for sure) through individual classes or as a minor in college if you intend to attend one. If you find you're good at it (the talent part you mentioned) you can apprentice for someone (the hard work part) to grow further. Don't depend on it as a career plan until you find it meaningful, enjoyable, and as important capable of providing earnings to support you. Regardless of your career choice, that's likely good advice.

Blatantly copy-ing and pasting from the other thread on this same subject:

Your areas of things to consider needs to be expanded by quite a lot if you want to pursue this as a career and work for yourself (which is what it sounds like you want):

-Do you have a firm understanding of marketing and sales?
-Do you have a firm understanding of business law, especially as it relates to contracts, liability, insurance?
-Do you have a firm understanding of the tax requirements for working for yourself/owning your own business?
-Do you have a firm understanding of basic financial and account principles for managing your business assets (income and debt)?

Or:

-Do you only know how to take pretty pictures?

Hmm when you put it like that it definitely seems beneficial - I mean of course id get something out of it, i just want it to be money well spent.
Just been talking to friend and she reckons like if chuck all those course subheadings into google with a little dedication and hard work i could learn it myself really?
Course Outline - 12 Modules and 12 corresponding interactive assignments to complete. all these headings.

And like Levinest said - it is flooded with photographers i know...
Id never rely on photography s a steady income for sure but id like to go professional one day and actually make decent money from it... Gee such an overpopulated business this photography thing...

"having a diploma" is proof your somewhat good?
No. Being able to take good photos, is proof you're somewhat good. If a 5 year old could consistently take great photos, they might be in demand as much as someone with a Masters in Photography.

More often than not, making money with photography is about selling the service of professional photography, not selling photos. So people will likely hire you, based on what you've done in the past and how well you can sell yourself. Many of the most successful photographers are people who could also make a living selling cars/houses/stereos etc.
Heck, if you are a good enough salesman, you probably don't need to be all that good of a photographer.

I think a photography degree would be just about pointless. Kind of like a degree in political science. It just doesn't mean anything.

If you have a work ethic, you can learn everything, and more from google and about 6 bucks in late fees at the local library.

On the other hand, a degree in business administration or marketing would be beneficial and might help you with an actual career path if photography doesn't work out.

Universities offer certification programs that teach not only picture taking but also provide eductaion on the business. Sure can't hurt me to attend.

I'm not looking for a photography career by any means, but I'm attending the following courses at my university:
Photography Introduction
Photography Intermediate Lighting Introduction
Studio Lighting Advanced
Business Essentials for Photographers
Digital Image Management

These should take no more than two years and again I just wanna' do this as a hobby.

Never assume that you can just be a photographer either. There are a few in this massive field that make a living by just shooting photographs, but most (and even some of the pros) make a living through photography and other gigs. Don't anticipate that college will get you a job either, people respect experience more than lettering on a nice degree certificate. Get ahold of an internship from a local photographer, work hard on your own work, develop digital workflow and classical darkroom skills. DO IT ALL. Most importantly, read read read. That is all college education is, paying a whole lot for things you could have learned on your own; and unlike the law or medical fields, photography has no degree requirement.

Not to detract from photo classes, I took two intro classes at my local community college a year ago, and I learned a lot of valuable technical information (even if the Lightroom class I was in I could have taught myself). Get yourself shooting regularly and developing your skills through hard work, that is what will get you into what you want to do.

Degrees do not put food on the table, your work ethic and useful application of knowledge does.

Most importantly, read read read. That is all college education is, paying a whole lot for things you could have learned on your own........
Few people have the ability to logically structure a program for learning photography on their own, let alone having the disipline to set and attain reasonable goals necessary to actually learning the needed material in a reasonable time frame.

I agree that what you've learned, how you learned it and what you're really capable of doing doesn't necessarily correlate with a degree. Given the sate of education today, especially here in the US, a degree is no assurance of competence.

However, there's another aspect of this whole degree question:

I'm retired from a career teaching at a college. Through much of my career the college where I taught employed 3-4 full-time photo faculty and 4 full-time photographers. The 4 full-time photographers were classified staff attached to the college media services departments and did everything from photograph events to help faculty prepare photo materials for class. Each of them had a regular salary, a regular work schedule, benefits, health insurance, a retirement pension and a degree. Not big money, but security and an enjoyable job. To get that job they had to apply through the college human resources department which screened all applications. The first thing that human resources dept. did was trash-can any applicant without a degree. The degree was the ticket to an interview.

Now a story: I started my career in photo working behind a camera sales counter. I learned photography by hanging around the staff photographer for the St. Louis Baseball Cardinals. He was a great teacher and I learned well. I didn't learn in school. In the store I met and made friends with a teacher at one of the local colleges. He had never at that time made a color print. I taught him how. I started dropping hints that I'd enjoy teaching part-time. He ignored them. I already had a graduate degree in a different field -- didn't matter. After maybe a year I finally decided to go back and get a Masters in Photo. I told that college teacher I was in grad school for photo. One month later I was teaching part-time at his college. That's what degrees are for.

Joe

I think a photography degree would be just about pointless. Kind of like a degree in political science. It just doesn't mean anything.

If you have a work ethic, you can learn everything, and more from google and about 6 bucks in late fees at the local library.

On the other hand, a degree in business administration or marketing would be beneficial and might help you with an actual career path if photography doesn't work out.

^^ Agreed. A degree in photography doesn't really mean jack unless you have a portfolio of great work. I don't think anybody ever asked the photographer, do you have a degree? If not we wont hired you. If you want starts your own photography business, it's better if you major in business/marketing so you have a business degree. It is very hard to find full time job as a photographer working for someone else like magazine, newspaper and etc.

If you're a college students, continue to practice, build up your gears so when you're ready, you can be able to starts your business. Photography is expensive, and by learning, understanding what gears to get for your type of photography is key because you dont' want to waste money in buying things you don't need. Starts slow, offer people you know to take photos special events, Engagement photoshoot and etc for low amount of money. Network with people to find out if they're attending an event, someone is getting married, kids birthday and etc and offer to shoot for them for a low price. That way you are able to build your portfolio, get some referrals, and also understanding how to charge people according to your work.

How well the business start off is up to you. You can be a great photographer and takes great photos but if you don't know how to network, get referrals, and run a business, it wont' go anywhere. You have to go the extra steps like getting to know the client/s, and adjusting the shoot to the client personality or story. The kind of photos, lighting, and editing. Take baby steps, and do it as a hobby while focusing on getting better and network right now. I think if you want to focus on a business in the future, the first you need is understanding lighting and buying lighting gears over lens. I would start off with a 50mm 1.8, and buy lighting equipment to learn how to use it correctly because IMO lighting makes the biggest difference in the quality of the photos. GL

Thanks for this guys, I think you made my mind up for me, I dont think ill bother with the course but continue to try learn and get better myself etc.
Raian-san I think your right when you say "I don't think anybody ever asked the photographer, do you have a degree? If not we wont hire you."

But then Clanthar you say "The first thing that human resources dept. did was trash-can any applicant without a degree. The degree was the ticket to an interview." This is what id like to have a something in something. I spose I leaned toward photography for obvious reason - Its my passion. But it isn't one of those things you NEED a certificate/ diploma in if you want to do well. I do wish it was different however, not flooded with everyone being a photographer these days and the ones who studied it had a definate job at the end of it all etc. Bascially I wish it was easy to make a living out of!

Most reactions

Back