photography etiquette

Hiseyes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,
What are appropriate guidelines to keep in mind when photographing any particular event as a volunteer gaining experience. I've noticed photographers accessing areas that are blocked off to spectators. I've gone to a couple of events to take pictures and have mostly stayed back. Should I seek out the event coordinator and ask them what is appropriate? Thank you in advance.

Are you a fast runner?

Just act more important than you really are, then if anyone questions you just play stupid. What's the worse that can happen.

It does make me wonder how you would go about possibly getting in free to an event and be "press" that would be bad ass

It's not unheard of for amateur photogs to make fake press passes (just a laminated ID looking thing hanging around your neck with some fake title) to get into concerts, sports events etc for free. Not that I condone such behaviour....

I have used my (expired) hometown newspaper press pass to get into several events, including VIP section of a Dierks Bentley concert.

I agree with peanut too!

google freelance press pass. There are quite a few topics about this. Most of the time you will want to contact the event coordinator ahead of time and apply for a pass. If they dont have too many you may just get lucky.

Hello all,
What are appropriate guidelines to keep in mind when photographing any particular event as a volunteer gaining experience. I've noticed photographers accessing areas that are blocked off to spectators. I've gone to a couple of events to take pictures and have mostly stayed back. Should I seek out the event coordinator and ask them what is appropriate? Thank you in advance.
Jeez, there are a lot of different types of "events".

Could you be a bit more specific?

It's not unheard of for amateur photogs to make fake press passes (just a laminated ID looking thing hanging around your neck with some fake title) to get into concerts, sports events etc for free. Not that I condone such behaviour....

lol, i would like to see that happen :)

Just act more important than you really are, then if anyone questions you just play stupid. What's the worse that can happen.

This works. If you are confident about it, you (most likely) won't be questioned. I've done this at several local events and have never been talked to about it.

I condone both the fake press pass/credential and the "just walk in" technique. If you look and act like you belong, they both work. That's how I got started.

Yes, I got thrown out of a few places but, once I was in, most that found out I was a fake just let me stay. I even got invited to after show parties. It helps if you can be charming, lol.

Basically you just need to upgrade your character stats next time you level up. Try adding two points to Assertiveness and one point to Charm. You also may want to put some skill points into your agility also; you know, just in case things get hairy.

Basically you just need to upgrade your character stats next time you level up. Try adding two points to Assertiveness and one point to Charm. You also may want to put some skill points into your agility also; you know, just in case things get hairy.
Oh "WOW" how I miss you:(

I actually showed up with a portfolio at the booker in my hometown, and I was appointed official photographer for all major and minor events !

Politeness and patience are key

Most reactions

Back