photo's developed as slides by mistake

Erin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, hope you can help I was recommended this site by someone on another site! Hoping for some advice! My mum and dad lost their old irish setter Councillor a few months ago, but shortly before he died my mum took some photos of him. Last week she finally plucked up the courage to get them developed at our local photo shop, but when she picked them up the next day there had been an apparent mix up. Her film along with 5 others had been sent away (we thought the films were developed on site as you can see the girls using the photo developing machine) and developed into slides rather than photo's. The wrong sort of development has meant the photo's they managed to get by some digital method (don't realy understand all of it!) are in black and white. Now while we do have some lovely photo's of phoebe, the photo's of Councillor are awful. A black and white photo of a red setter on a green sofa just don't work. We can get more photo's of phoebe, but no more of councillor these were the last ones taken. They did give my mum the photo's and a cd of them for nothing, but claim there is nothing more they can do. My mum is so upset, i just want one of the photo's of councillor sorted for her. Any suggestions??
Erin

You could try getting in contact with Kodak. They might be able to help or advise.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/features/featuresIndex.jhtml?pq-path=2/522

They invented the C-41 and E6 processes and I am sure this is not the first time cross processing has happened.
I have to admit never having tried to process C-41 as E6 so I have no idea how the negs look and without actually seeing them I can offer no more help.
I am sure that some of the others on this board are better informed than I am and can offer some help.
If you could scan one of the negs in and post it here it would help a lot.

I'm not sure whether my mum has the negatives, i'll ask her!

I guess for the time being keep em clean, and contact some professional photo labs, your best bet maybe not a company but a professional photographer on his own :)

Guessing, but it seem that the only way to fix them would be in Photoshop or a similar software :(

What do you mean by print film developed as slides by mistake? It sounds like slide or chrome film was used by mistake. If it was print film then you would have had negatives. If you have slides of positive images you can have those scanned to digital or have them printed from the slides.

I don't believe there is anything you can do about them. Cross processing is used as an art form by some photographers to get unusual color effects. There is no way to fix the negs. The pics you got in B&W were prolly desaturated versions of the messed up negs.

You can try and fix them in photoshop but it would take an advanced user and i don't think you will ever get the pictures you were expecting.

processing slide film in negative developer (cross processing) gives highly saturated results. Im sure that i read somewhere, if you develop negative film in slide chemicals you get highly desaturated colours.

Is there a lack of contrast in the prints? Also, is there any colour visible or are they completely black and white?

If it was cross processed I don't believe the colour can be save, BUT, you could take the black and white photos to a profesional and have him "colour them inn" using photoshop. You can get suprisingly good results with some people. The only thing you need to do is supply a few extra photos in colour so the person knows what results he is looking for.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back