Photoshop CC Sky Replacement

pez

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was checking out the latest updates to Photoshop CC and noticed "Sky Replacement". Having never tried the Luminar product, I can't compare the two, but this first stab at it turned out great! This is a recent balloon photo that I shot on November 21, with the blank blue sky replaced by a photo of a Circumhorizontal Arc that I shot back in 2017. I generally have sort of frowned upon sky replacements, but now I can see that purely for art's sake, maybe it's OK sometimes
cool.png

Anyway, for an simple subject like this it's just stupid easy (for a Photoshop operation that is). I doubt I'll ever use it much- and not without noting it, for sure. But I'm happy that PS has included this fun feature!

Turned out well. I have the Luminar software and it does do a fantastic job as well. Like you tho, I'll probably not use it too often.

That said, I'm compiling a set of my own skies as opposed to using the Luminar presets. Feels a little less of a 'cheat that way:D

Last edited:
Reactions: pez
Turned out well. I have the Luminar software and it does do a fantastic job as well. Like you tho, I'll probably not use it too often.

That said, I'm compiling a set of my own skies as opposed to using the Luminar presets. Feels a little less of a 'cheat that way:D
Hahaha, thanks, and that's why I used my own sky- wouldn't consider using a canned sky.

Nice one, I use luminar 4 for this.
Thanks! Luckily, I don't have to buy Luminar now.

I used only regular PS for this one- Solar eclipse from '17, and a shot of the full Moon from a few months ago.

I've tried it, but for my part didn't find it overly useful. Simple, high contrast edges like your balloon work well with it, but throw a tree line in there with lots of branches and some gray, you'll find both PS and Luminar lacking. For my part I still use multiple selection methods and layers when replacing backgrounds. I do like the recently released "Object selection tool".

As to difference, Photoshop sky replacements are done in layers, making it easy to readjust image values. Luminar drops in the sky, and you are left with one layer. If you don't like what you wind up with, you have to start over with adjustments.

Most reactions

Back