photoshop cs6 or lightroom

Redbiscuit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a complete newby when it comes to editing photographs. I've played around with some trials, and such, but I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is... which would you suggest for a newby? Lightroom or Photoshop CS6? I'm waffling here. Obviously LR is much more inexpensive, but for just starting out, would that be ok? Thanks!

Both. Or get Lightroom and the consumer grade, $70, Adobe Photoshop Elements 11

Lightroom 4 is a front-end application for CS 6.

Lightroom is designed specifically for photographers. While Lightroom can accomplish most tasks a photographer needs to do, Lightroom can't do all the tasks a photographer will need to do

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
^ This.

Get lightroom first, it might be that it's all you ever need.

Adobe actually designed Lightroom to be an addition to Photoshop, not a replacement for Photoshop.

Elements 11 Camera Raw uses the same Raw image data edit rendering engine Lightroom's Develop Module uses -ACR 7. But, while the ACR version Elements has is somewhat de-featured the rest of Elements can substitute for the missing features.

Part of the issue is that Lightroom's editing function, the Develop module, is a Raw converter. If the user is shooting JPEGs there is not much need for a Raw converter that can't undo the edits made to a JPEG in the camera.

Do you know if you can download a trial for Adobe Elements 11 off hand? I'll take a look too, just in case you know off the top of your head. Thanks all!

I think I see this thread pop up on a weekly basis.

If you can I would get both. I bounce my work back and forth between the two programs and love them both. I would say that Lightroom is much more user friendly if you're just starting out.

Neither - get aperture

I started with Photoshop Elements and then purchased Lightroom.. I use LR for almost all my editing, but I do use PSE when I need to do more such as adding textures. I love LR and I've spent a lot of time learning to use it.

Or pay $50/month and get ALL adobe softwares!
As long as you keep making the monthly payments.
You are only paying for monthly access to the software.
If you stop making the monthly payments you're left with - NO Adobe software.

Adobe loves the monthly payment deal because it makes pirating their software way harder, and likely also produces more software revenue - Cha-Ching!

I downloaded both Adobe Elements and Lightroom trial versions.... now just to learn them to see which one I want to buy --- likely it will end up being both. :)

Most reactions

Back