Photoshop For Me

Luke345678

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello there everybody,

I usually have kept away from Photoshop and used basic programs for small things because I really don't like editing my photos that much. I like having that raw feeling to them, just me personally. I've recently seen though photoshop could have some use, not gonna lie. It does a lot of things my other basic programs don't.

I would like a nice version but at the same time, possibly stay under $150. I'm currently a freshman in high school and have began to take Yearbook. I'd like to make sure my images look sharp. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, please leave a link if possible! :)

Thanks,

-Luke

Edit: Here's what I've been looking at!
http://www.thesoftwaretechstore.com...58504AD01A00&gclid=CLSo64GbobkCFUSi4Aod5TwAoA

While Photoshop can be useful, Lightroom seems like a better choice. I have both LR and PS but I use Lightroom 100x more often than photoshop. Lightroom lets you retouch photos much more simply, and you come out with a generally better looking image than the RAW/JPEG that comes out of your camera. Photoshop might let you do more, but Lightroom, at least for me, produces better images.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Software for Mac and 65215211 B&H

That's the boxed version, and it's just around 150$.

Thats an update which means you must have an earlier version of the software. Photoshop has always been a high end product. You may want to go to Adobe.com and look at their products. Adobe is moving products from hard purchase you own it to a "cloud based" monthly fee model. I think Photoshop would be overkill for your needs at this time

Take a look at Adobe Lightroom instead for basic photo retouching. THey have student pricing as well Download Photoshop Lightroom 5 photo software | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5

You may also want to check out GIMP which is a free tool that many use instead of Photoshop to see if it will meet your needs GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

There are a lot of options out there where you do not have to go high end for features you may never use. Decide what features you must have and then take a look around online to find something within your budget.

If you have a Mac, get Aperture - $79
If you have a PC, get Lightroom - $149 but since you're a student you probably qualify for the student pricing which is substantially less expensive.

Unless you're trying to radically alter your images, Aperture & Lightroom are superior for adjustments. Photoshop is superior for "manipulation".

The link you provided is to an "upgrade" version which requires that you own a prior qualifying license of Photoshop. It doesn't sound like you have an existing version, so that version isn't going to work for you (you'd need a license key from a prior qualifying version.)

Photoshop CS2 is free...

Here is a link to Adobe's Education store for students and teachers. - Products

Photoshop Elements 11's Camera Raw includes quite a bit of Lightroom's Develop module (editing) tools, features, and functions.
Camera Raw and Lightroom's Develop module use essentially the same software - Adobe Camera Raw.
The version of Camera Raw in Elements is somewhat defeatured because Elements is consumer grade.
But Elements still has the main tools and features you would be likely to use, plus having a lot of the other regular Photoshop features that allow pixel editing.

Since Elements is consumer grade software, it is not discounted for students.

Last edited:
I'd look into Corel Paint Shop Pro, either X5 or the upcoming X6, which will be $80 at most.

While I'll readily admit I'm a Photoshop user, there are a lot of things about Paint Shop that I like. I tend to use both, depending on what I need, though for basic editing, Paint Shop will do the same thing as Photoshop.

LR rocks. It's inexpensive and much easier to learn than PS. I have both but started with LR.

Most reactions

Back