Piggy back ride - c&c please!

sjconner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.conner-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this picture during the branding - a quick off the cuff shot. I think it is a little out of focus and that I should have made the DOF narrower. Any other suggestions? I will probably get my girls to restage this shot. I like the concept but don't think I pulled it off as well as I could have.

Thanks, Susan

Honestly I don't like the concept. The subject is too small, focus is off, too much empty space on all sides, no faces in the shot, the truck is distracting, and I couldn't even tell it as a child getting a piggy back ride at first. The only thing I do like is the contrast between the colors of the pink jackets, blue pants, and green background.

Just my opinion, but if the subjects were turned around and facing the camera instead of walking away it would double the value of this shot.

This is all just my opinion, and I'm a noob, so don't take it to heart.

I kinda like the girls a little blurred. I don't know why but I think it's just a little different. I would maybe crop some of the trees above, but that's just me. I'm curious to see what others think.

I agree with scorp on all counts.

A photo like this may be (and most likely is) very valuable to you, with lots of meaning and sentimental appeal. That's good, but when a random person (such as myself) views it, they may not get that appeal. I think one of the big hurdles of photography is learning how to make a pleasing image that appeals to a wide range of people - and it's one I'm constantly tripping over myself.

I agree with reznap! I honestly didn't even think about the sentimental value of the shot to you. I have literally HUNDREDS of shots that I would never post on here due to embarassment of my wife and daughter, but I wouldn't delete them for anything!

I always say that if the clients like the image that's what counts. If you or your family are the "clients" in this case, and you like it... blow it up and hang it on the wall!

But beside the emotional value, which is being appreciated here, from a very strict viewpoint, and having been asked for "c&c", which includes CRITIQUE, this photo is snapshot-level at the most. Sorry for being so bland, I saw it earlier when it still didn't have any replies, and was thinking the same, refraining from putting it down in writing, as I wanted others to step in first. Scorpion chose very nice words to talk around the expression "snapshot", AND trying to find the good in it, but all in all it is not good photography. Focus was missed. Either that, or we get camera shake. Subject is just a tiny element within a wide range of busy, highly distracting background and context elements, there is no communication with the viewer, and it is hard to tell there's two sisters walking, the little one getting the piggy ride.

I hope you've got skin thick enough to stomach my critique, but this is how you will learn. We all started at some point in time, and if it hadn't been for critique, neither of us would ever have developed in any manner. Just don't give up and keep photographing!!!

I don't mind the critique - that is what I want. As I said before, I liked the idea (girl giving piggy back ride) but not the way I executed it. I am looking for non-relative, unbiased critique. I have been out of photography for 20 years and the technology is new. I think I am doing fairly well so far but have lots and lots and lots to figure out.

THANKS (not being sarcastic - I mean it),
Susan

I, personally, would love to see more of your pics. :)

It's not to say I wouldn't like to see more of your photos, Susan.
And I am glad to hear you're a good sport as to my critique. After it was posted, I worried it might have been too harsh...

Gosh, LaPhoto, I didn't mean for my comment to reflect negatively on you in any way! Sorry if it sounded that way. I merely meant that I would like to see others before I gave my opinion in case this was a one time fluke.

i kinda like the idea. maybe try it in a park. and try to get emotion in there as well. faces! the comp that you have right now isnt really doing it for me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back