Pinup model Shannon photoshoot

I find my models through friends really.. most of them have a look that i like.. and think would work well for pinup.. some are just want pinup photos taken of themselves even if they are not the standard "pinup" looking chick.

i recommend using models with curves boobs.. butt..hips.. etc.. makes for a for classic look

i would suggest also shooting the model on a very simple background .. classic pinup photos have little or no background.. perhaps just 1 prop.. unless im shooting a client who wants the shot to look a certain way.. i would rather just shoot her on a white background an then create my own simple graphical background in PS..

however.. putting the model into an environment even if you dont end up using ANY of the actual location in the shot.. helps bring out certain character in the model which shows up in the photo ... almost always.. in this photo

photomodelnetwork.com - Eric Chiarito

the model was inside of a small shower stall.. and for whatever reason she came to life.. as you can see in the photo.. her eyes and facial expression is spot on.. and her body language is EXACTLY what i was looking for.

however.. i used none of the shower in the shot.

the liquify tool is in PS.. under "filters" you use it to push and pull pixles in the image almost like the smudge tool.. only with more precision and without blurring the pixels.. its very handy for smoothing out lumps and bumps.. as well as enhancing smaller body parts that you want bigger or more curvy..

hope that helps!

post process is a technique you develop over time.. but its a system that you can learn easily.. let me know if you need more tips :)

i like the beginner forum crowd better.. =)

plus my soul reason for posting is to help share my knowledge.. of course i like to hear feedback of what people like / dont like or think i could do to improve the composition or what have you.

i'm really just posting to see if anyone has any questions so i can explain / teach my technique =)

so...
lemme know if anyone does! haha

Where do you find the models. Or do they come to you. I would like to try some shoots like this but im not sure where to find models that would do it. What advice do you have. Also any advice for shooting these type shots. I really like your pictures. What was the liquify tool you were talking about. Is it in PS. I am still trying to learn it so im not familiar with that one.

Thanks for the tips. :thumbup:

Dude nice! I am currently looking for models but I have a girlfriend and I don't know how she would feel about it heh. I mean I have asked her to do it but she doesn't like being photographed. However i'll find something. :thumbup:
Nice shots!

What setup did you use? (if you don't mind me asking)

for the majority of my shots ive used 1 flash head.. 7d or 5d depending whats available.. and thats about it..

for the 2 newer shots i just did.. (one being of Shannon) i used a ring flash synced to the camera with a cord and just held the ring flash over the lens.

really helps with the post process of flattening out the sink and shadows..

Most reactions

Back