Pirate Hunting Cruises??!!

Antarctican

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One of Canada's national newspapers carried a story today about rich Russians with lots of money signing up for pirate-hunting cruises on armed private yachts off the Somali coast. They pay $6,620/day to patrol those waters (known for having pirates) in the hope they will be attacked by raiders. If/when attacked, they retaliate with grenade launchers, machine guns and rocket launchers. For an extra $9.45/day they get an AK-47 machine gun, with 100 rounds of ammo costing $13.25. The people doing this 'cruise' are also protected by a squad of former special forces. The yachts are said to travel from Djibouti in Somalia to Mombasa in Kenya. They deliberately cruise close to the coast at a speed of just 5 nautical miles/hr in an attempt to attract the interest of pirates.

Just when you thought you had heard everything.....

pirateshipff.gif

I'd like to be paid $6,620/day

If I had that kind of money I would do that in a heartbeat. I think it's a great idea. Maybe it will help put a stop to the pirate problems over there. Entire villages are raising their children to become pirates as their way of life, it's ridiculous.

That's kind of like what the Sea Shepherds do in Antartica, they are not exactly endorsed by anyone legal either but they're the only ones doing anything about the whale hunting down there, which they say is in excess of what the law allows ...

I'm not going to lie this sounds pretty badass. It would probably be fun right up til you take an RPG to the boat, or your face. I find it funny though that it's like $6200+ a day, and only about $30 for a gun and ammo. I'd rather bring my own for free. There are definitly some issues in this world though...

OMG! That sounds awesome!

I always thought it would be cool to be a pirate - I guess a pirate hunter is close enough, lol.

...And you get paid for this too? Win-win!

...Or do I have to pay $6K a day to participate...? That doesn't sound so cool...

OMG! That sounds awesome!

I always thought it would be cool to be a pirate - I guess a pirate hunter is close enough, lol.

...And you get paid for this too? Win-win!

...Or do I have to pay $6K a day to participate...? That doesn't sound so cool...
Unfortunately you are the one that has to pay :p. If they paid me I wouldn't be typing this right now :p. I would bye by Somalia shooting pirates with RPG's :D

Oh, HELL yes!!

The only problem with this is that the pirates mostly go after the bigger cargo vessels to get the ransoms from the large corporate owners.

Now, if you want to give me a Browning "Ma Duece" on the side of one of those cargo ships...I'm there.

Hey, I work for a (very) large corporation... I'd be willing to be the bait (assuming, of course, that I was heavily armed...).

Oh, HELL yes!!

The only problem with this is that the pirates mostly go after the bigger cargo vessels to get the ransoms from the large corporate owners.

Idk about that. Most of these are small villages. I think a large majority of them just want the "big shiny" boats and the jewelry/money/possessions of those on-board.

Granted, I am sure some go after the larger ones, but probably not most of them.

Idk about that. Most of these are small villages. I think a large majority of them just want the "big shiny" boats and the jewelry/money/possessions of those on-board.

Granted, I am sure some go after the larger ones, but probably not most of them.

I guess that's possible. All you hear about on the news is the big ones.

Something like this would definitely put a little doubt into them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back