Playing with DOF

JeffieLove

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know a couple of these are slightly underexposed (and maybe overexposed)... but I was mainly shooting to see which DOF looked better on this beaded necklace :)

012-4.jpg

013-4.jpg

015-3.jpg

017-3.jpg

I know there is some distracting stuff in the background - I am asking specifically for your opinions on which DOF looks best :)

**********************RESHOOT**********************
Okie doke, these are the reshoots...

019-4.jpg

2. I think this one is a bit underexposed, but it looked okay when I shot it :/
020-3.jpg

021-4.jpg

Last edited:
IDK a tripod would be nice to use.
Shallow DOF+Camera Shake= completely blurry shot.

Your shutter speed is too slow and needs to be a bit quicker to eliminate motion blur. Tripods help as well.
I would try shooting at 1/60 or faster when hand held w/ a 50mm.

lol I knew that was coming lol... hmmm... i might have to reshoot with the tripod ;)

i just didn't want to bring it downstairs and have my mom think i was THAT crazy about photography ;)

Oh, she hasn't picked her camera up in OVER a week! Mine has been out constantly since I got laid off yesterday ;)

Oh, and it might also be better if I use my kit lens rather than the 50mm too, right?

I'm just being lazy and trying to play tonight :) lol

Oh, and it might also be better if I use my kit lens rather than the 50mm too, right?

not necessarily. The prime lens is a better lens in regards to more flexible depth of field and better optics. If I were you, I would use the same lens and work on mastering the manual controls to achieve a better photo. I am not going to comment on composition here since it seems that you are just messing with DOF. Try f/1.8 ISO 400 and a shutter speed of 1/60". If you have steady hands or use a tripod, this should work out better and you will get a super shallow depth of field. Obviously, you might need to tweak those numbers a bit since I am not familiar with you lighting situation, but it seems that would be close considering the settings for your other shots.

Excuses dissapoint me. If you have a tripod, use it.

So I know you are playing around and stuff...but...

If you raise the aperture one stop, how hard is it to lower the shutter speed one stop? I am just trying to wrap my head around how you are going to learn how to properly expose a picture, if you don't even try to do so.

:er:

You are never gonna get it if you don't actually try.
Ever.

not necessarily. The prime lens is a better lens in regards to more flexible depth of field and better optics. If I were you, I would use the same lens and work on mastering the manual controls to achieve a better photo. I am not going to comment on composition here since it seems that you are just messing with DOF. Try f/1.8 ISO 400 and a shutter speed of 1/60". If you have steady hands or use a tripod, this should work out better and you will get a super shallow depth of field. Obviously, you might need to tweak those numbers a bit since I am not familiar with you lighting situation, but it seems that would be close considering the settings for your other shots.

I actually had to have a slower shutter speed even with the f/1.8... The lighting is recessed and I'm not sure what kind of bulbs are in them... I did do custom WB though...

Excuses dissapoint me. If you have a tripod, use it.

So I know you are playing around and stuff...but...

If you raise the aperture one stop, how hard is it to lower the shutter speed one stop? I am just trying to wrap my head around how you are going to learn how to properly expose a picture, if you don't even try to do so.

:er:

You are never gonna get it if you don't actually try.
Ever.

Lol thanks Bitter :)

I did raise the aperture and lower the shutter speed, but I didn't want to make the shutter speed TOO slow because then they would have been even more blurry... I will take the necklace upstairs to my "mini studio" and play around a bit more ;)

how you are going to learn how to properly expose a picture, if you don't even try to do so.

He is in dominantlys new school so hopefully he gets some guidance there. :lol:

SHE is in dom's school ;)

I put my name in my signature because I was tired of everyone thinking I was a guy... :/ grrr

Artisic DOF falls flat on its face if the sharpness is not there.

Don't have a tripod handy? use a book, a pillow, your stack of he man under-roos... anything.

p!nK

Artisic DOF falls flat on its face if the sharpness is not there.

Don't have a tripod handy? use a book, a pillow, your stack of he man under-roos... anything.

p!nK

I don't think I have any "he man under-roos"... i'm a chick ;) jeebus! lol

Lol thanks Bitter :)

I did raise the aperture and lower the shutter speed, but I didn't want to make the shutter speed TOO slow because then they would have been even more blurry... I will take the necklace upstairs to my "mini studio" and play around a bit more ;)
I checked your EXIF info, prior I thought you used 1/10 for the top 3 images, and only changed it for the last. I rechecked. You used 1/10 for the first 2 images, so you already started falling behind when you did adjust it.

Are you looking at your light meter to set your exposure?

Don't mean to pick on you, but when I read "playing" and "lazy" I tend to throw my hands in the air and walk away. :meh:

Most reactions

Back