Please C&C my photo, thanks ahead of time for looking.

daverica

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$_DSC0391.jpg

i took this pic yesterday of my son. I took it in Manual mode, the F4.5, 1/320, not sure of the ISO. I took this in B&W from my camera setting. I have read its better to take in color and then change to b&W in photo shop, but Im new at this. I am using a Nikon D5100. Any comments or critiques? Thanks ahead of time.:D

He's just a tad too far to the left.

I prefer to shoot in color, then do the conversion in post. That way, I make the decisions about the process, not some engineer in a far-off land who really doesn't care about my work.

Thank you. I was trying to apply the rule of thirds. Maybe I did not apply correctly.

rule of thirds isn't as big of a deal for head and shoulders portraits.

Thank you. I was trying to apply the rule of thirds. Maybe I did not apply correctly.

I never apply the rule of thirds horizontally in a vertical shot... only vertically if needed. But you don't necessarily need it anyway.. you're an artist... you need to learn the rules and then bend them.

Here is my take on the rule of 1/3ds for this photo. I placed his left eye on the 1/3 point. What do you think?

Attachments

• $boy-2.jpg
    $boy-2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 162
Dave; you can take the picture in whatever format you prefer, and later produce a monochrome copy right in the camera. So let's say your are shooting NEF+JPG, and you see the color JPG on the screen, and you think that it would make a nice monochrome image. Just go the the edit menu, and make your B&W (or sepia, or cyanotone) in the camera. Of course these copies will be JPGs, just like the full color version, but if you are shooting in NEF+JPG, you can still mess around with the NEF file in whatever PP software that you have. So have fun with it.

Most reactions

Back