Please critique my photos

whtge8

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Shooting with a D60, Sigma 17-70mm, and an SB600 flash. Still trying to figure out how everything works and playing around with the settings. Took a ton of shots and only found these that were decent. Please give me any suggestions on how to improve. I really need to figure out whats the best way to use the flash outdoors.

1. I know the reflectors on the left are distracting but I like the rest of the picture.
good1.jpg

good3.jpg

good2.jpg

good4.jpg

good5.jpg

Thanks! :blushing:

I understand what you were trying to do, but i feel like it just didn't work right, i congratulate you on not taking these in the middle of the day ;). I feel like the thing thats throwing me off the most about these photos are the girls themselves, not that thye are not "model material", but their facial expressions are just distracting i think. For example 4, seems more like an akward snapshot then a well planed photo. Try taking these again with a nice background, instead of a house or a school or wtv in the last picture for example. Id say the last one is the best but still just akward IMO. Like for n umber 2, there is just SO many things going off in this picture that aren't related im thinkign these were just snapshots, like i just dont see the point in asking for critique maybe? Idk, im being harsh, just try to limit distractions.Try reading some books on the rule of thirds and good poses for portrait photography.

Yeah I did my best, they were over-active 12 year olds ( my sister and her friend) that just wanted to take funny pictures of them jumping and stuff so trying to get a normal picture was kind of tough.

Nothing Really stands out to me and dazzles, They are pretty average, I find un-expected photos seem to turn out best, i have a little brother who i often photograph and when he "Poses" they come out looking tragic! But if i shoot a photo when he spontaiously starts laughing at somthing or anything, they come out briliant!
I agree with "Inst!nct" Oh the fact these girls arnt model material and obviously this isnt your fault, but keep working on it and have another go, i would just try to avoid the cliche'd "poses"
:D

What can I do besides them to improce the actual photos though? Should I focus on getting the flash off camera or mess with my settings first?

Most reactions

Back