Please Critique this image

Jay2023

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this image in Eibsee, near Munich,Germany. the weather was not so interesting and there was a different composition I had in mind before composing this. it was snowing lightly but for a brief instance the sun was out and I was able to click this. following are the tech specs
31,5 mm, f/7,1/160s, ISO 1250 (Nikon z7ii + 24-70 f4 z mount)
edited in Lightroom

Attachments

• Eibsee.jpg
    Eibsee.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17
Asking for general critique is not the purpose here. That can be done on the rest of the forum.

So what is it you are looking for help with?
What about this image bothers you or do you think could use improvement?

Asking for general critique is not the purpose here. That can be done on the rest of the forum.

So what is it you are looking for help with?
What about this image bothers you or do you think could use improvement?
Sure. thanks for letting me know. following are my queries
1. Did I Color grade it right? or does it looks as if I have gone a little overboard maybe a little more saturated?
2. on a composition perspective, did I compose it well or may be would it be good if I would have focused on the house a little more in the frame?

Sure. thanks for letting me know. following are my queries
1. Did I Color grade it right? or does it looks as if I have gone a little overboard maybe a little more saturated?
2. on a composition perspective, did I compose it well or may be would it be good if I would have focused on the house a little more in the frame?

Question 1: I'm viewing this on phone and not my calibrated monitor but it might be a tad warm for snow. Maybe some other members can comment?

Question 2: I think the house is fine it qives perspective to the size of the mountains. IMO the top of the frame is cramped, cropping the water and showing more sky would be a better vertical placement. When photographing large imposing subjects they need room to breath.

Overall it is a decent capture of a beautiful location.

Last edited:
Question 1: I'm viewing this on phone and not my calibrated monitor but it might be a tad warm for snow. Maybe some other members can comment?

Question 2: I think the house is fine it qives perspective to the size of the mountains. IMO the top of the frame is cramped, cropping the water and showing more sky would be a better vertical placement. When photographing large imposing subjects they need room to breath.

Overall it is a decent capture of a beautiful location.
Thanks so much for your time to review and share your opinion. Sincerely appreciate your efforts.

When I look at the image my eye is immediately drawn to the mountains, then I notice the main buildings. Then my keeps going back and fourth.
I agree with the cropping comment above to allow more perceived room for the sky/mountains. This would place the building below and to the right of the "rule of thirds" however in this one I could make an argument to break that rule. With my attention being brought back and forth between the main building and the mountains. It did take me quite a few seconds to even see the other buildings to the right. The new crop may aid in anchoring the buildings in place for the eye having them a little closer to the corner.

I don't see an issue with the snow but it does look as if either a little more contrast/detail or maybe saturation was used that I would have done but that is more of a subjective observation.

The quality of the file 2.2mb I'm guessing is the reasoning I see pixellation in the sky. If the full image doesn't have the pixel banding I would also try to bring out more detail with either highlights/shadows/contrast/clarity or detail sliders. It may help give more interest to the sky. If there is not much detail to be gained then I would soften it to remove any interest to draw the eye away.

"there is not much detail to be gained then I would soften it to remove any interest to draw the eye away"

Zombie makes a good point. It's the photographers job to direct where the viewers attention should go. Unfortunately the brain and eye don't always follow direction. It will subconsciously pick up on the smallest out of place thing before we consciously recognize it.

I think this is a fine shot of place and location that you travelled too. I don't see anything wrong with it. Sure, you could have zoomed in to the hotel if that's what you wanted, but it's your photograph.

The color grading looks good to me. I like the different colors of the water. Maybe darken the left side a little from the trees to the water. Something subtle to draw your eye into the photo.

I can see what others say about the sky, was this j pg or raw file?
for me there are two images there.
1 your original image, and I see nothing wrong. I was going to suggest removing the wires, ... but them I saw the whole pic and realised what they were so no problem
2you could crop the image for a second and have just the buildings a small amount of water to hold the bottom and the snow in the background.
Having said that your image is a good one print it and have it on display on a wall at home

I think this is a fine shot of place and location that you travelled too. I don't see anything wrong with it. Sure, you could have zoomed in to the hotel if that's what you wanted, but it's your photograph.
Thanks so much for your kind comments..

The color grading looks good to me. I like the different colors of the water. Maybe darken the left side a little from the trees to the water. Something subtle to draw your eye into the photo.
Thanks so much for your comments..Indeed.. let me try

I took this image in Eibsee, near Munich,Germany. the weather was not so interesting and there was a different composition I had in mind before composing this. it was snowing lightly but for a brief instance the sun was out and I was able to click this. following are the tech specs
31,5 mm, f/7,1/160s, ISO 1250 (Nikon z7ii + 24-70 f4 z mount)
edited in Lightroom
The way digital camera's work compared to film, I'd have taken a few shot's even while it was snowing. Using the card to record photo and have it fill up simply slide in another card. At home you can clean the cards and re-use them. Not like film. Run out and you'll need to buy new film. Also takes longer to actually see what you got. ya just never really know what you'll get in bad weather!

Come to think of it, you don't have to wait to get home. All my digitals showed me what I got on the back of the camera on the screen!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back