Please help me decide for my first camera: Fuji HS30EXR vs Nikon P510 vs Lumix FZ62

neofyt05

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all, this is my very first post on this forum so don't burn me at the stake.

I've been searching for a bridge camera for a week now and I can't make up my mind. I need it for an upcoming trip to london and also I need it to capture close up photos and HD videos of fish in aquariums (i do that very frequently). Moreover I am a gadget guy so I would love my camera to be "fun". My budget is about £220/$330 and I found some very good offers on amazon.uk (can't buy from amazon.com).

The one I am mostly interested in and also the cheapest at £223/$335 is the Fujifilm HS30EXR which offers the most DSLR-inspired features (manual focus ring, manual zoom, compatible with filters and comes with lens hood) though I read some reviews saying that there is some noise in the pictures. Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR Digital Camera 3 inch: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

My second option is the Nikon P510. I think the fuji is equal overall. I don't care about the extreme zoom of 42X it offers or the GPS. Some say that it is less noisy but sometimes it has trouble focusing. Also it is £240/$360 more. Nikon COOLPIX P510 Compact Digital Camera - Black 3: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Third is the Panasonic FZ62 at the same price with the Nikon which lacks the tiltable LCD, reviewers also refer to some noise, *only* 24X zoom and has 1/2000s shutter speed while the other two 1/4000. Panasonic Lumix FZ62 Bridge Camera - Black 3 inch LCD: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
I even looked into the more expensive and the Lumix FZ150 but I am not sure if it is worth the £45/$70 more than the Fuji. It has a 12MP only sensor which is noise free but IMO at this price 12MP is a very small number and 24X zoom. I can not afford it right now but I will save up if it is a MUCH better camera. Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Compact Camera with Full HD: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

By the way, only the Fuji and the FZ-150 support RAW. How important is it?

As you can see, I am an amateur. This will be my first camera, I was always using the best camera phones but not a real camera (except the cheap compacts). So do you think that any of these cameras is a bad one or is significantly inferior to the others or they are pretty much equal?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You could always try the new Panasonic Lumix GF6, it has a higher resolution and a nice tilting screen, plus it looks like a nice little beginners camera to me, i'll send u a link here if you want to check out a more professional review, but really I think best thing to do is go into the store and have a look round

Panasonic Lumix GF6 Camera First Look Preview Video - YouTube

Not a DSLR? pass me the matches! ;)

Seriously though, no there isn't much between these cameras, they're all reasonably specified bridge models, IME fujifilm cameras offer a a bit more in the way of manual control than other models. If you wanted something that gives a bit more the Fujifilm XS1 is an option, they've managed to shoehorn a larger than usual sensor into it, I've had a play with one of these and IMO it's one of the most serious efforts to make a superzoom that offers good image quality rather than absurd megapixel numbers and zoom range that is more the norm with bridge cameras. It also has a superb electronic viewfinder which is a plus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back