Please help spend a bit of money

DevilDogge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just sold some college textbooks, and I'm looking for advice of what to get with the money. I'd really like to get a long range zoom lens (300mm or so), but I don't think I'd want one with the little money I have, so I'm looking for advice on the basics I should be looking into like flashes, filters, tripods, batteries, etc...

So far I have a Sony A200 with a Sony 18-55 lens, and a Minolta 50mm 1.7 prime. I have a good bag, a very cheap tripod, photoshop, and thats pretty much it. I have $160 to spend, so please give advice of what will help me out the most. I shoot everything from people to landscapes, indoor mostly though. Thanks!

300 mm isn't really a long range zoom but with some cropping would work for most field sports, and $160 is a pretty tight budget so you're basically looking for a used lens.

The EF-S 55-250 mm f/4-5.6 is about what you'd be looking for. New they are $300. You might be able to find a used version for as low as $225 or so. EOS (SLR) Camera Systems - Telephoto Zoom - Telephoto Zoom - EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS - Canon USA Consumer Products

KMH, I don't own a Canon, and I don't think it'll fit on a Sony (check first post :D) Thanks for the reply, though!

Wow, 15 views and only one suggestion... come on people!

Shows I'm not paying attention. Sony should have a very similar lens. Have you visited their web site?

Be patient, it's not a chat room.

If you're in a big hurry, you could always do your own research with an Internet search using Google or what ever your favorite search engine happens to be. :thumbup:

If you're in a big hurry, you could always do your own research with an Internet search using Google or what ever your favorite search engine happens to be. :thumbup:

Or check your local buy and sell. I'm always on kijiji looking for stuff. Another option is to call your local photography store and see if they carry used stuff or if they have any advice they can give.

Shows I'm not paying attention. Sony should have a very similar lens. Have you visited their web site?

Be patient, it's not a chat room.

The money is burning a hole in my pocket!!!! :lol:

I've visited Sony's site, but the reviews for the lenses in that price range are very mixed, so I'd probably save and get a good lens one day, but I don't need it right away. I usually leave my 50mm on all the time unless I need a wide angle shot.

Another option is to call your local photography store and see if they carry used stuff or if they have any advice they can give.

I'm planning on doing that, but I want to know what I should be asking for as recommended by unbiased people. I don't like asking a salesman what I should get at his store, I'm sure you understand ;)

I don't like asking a salesman what I should get at his store, I'm sure you understand ;)

Totally understand. Since you mentioned that you shoot a lot indoors, might I suggest a bounce flash? I know the 50mm can capture a lot of light, but eventually, you'll need to stop it down to capture group shots. At least I think that's how it works, lol. :lol:

Also, if I end up getting a flash, will the TTL metering work with my sony camera with the old minolta 50mm on it? If not, I guess I'd look to get a manual flash, right?

That, I have no answer for. But I hope the suggestions between lens and flash have got the ball rolling for you.

Wow, 15 views and only one suggestion... come on people!

So you get impatient after 15 mins? Seriously, come on person!

There was a thread a few days ago about what to buy for under $100. Try using the search function.

But basically, there isnt much you can get... CPL filter, UV filter, lens hoods, lenspen,..

WHAT?!? Someone doing their own research in this world of instant messaging, instant coffee and instant gratification? pffft.... come on, get real. :lol:

That, I have no answer for. But I hope the suggestions between lens and flash have got the ball rolling for you.

Well, I'm almost certain I'm not getting a lens with $160 (unless I see a good condition Minolta beercan), so I'm leaning towards a flash. I just called the local used camera place here in Louisville, and he said he's got some flashes, but they won't communicate with the camera, so I'd have to use them manually.

That being said, I'm still unsure if one that did communicate with the camera would even work with my Minolta 50mm.

I also don't know how important it is to have filters (ND, UV, polarized, etc...).

lol, it's a good thing I don't have work today.

You'll get a lot of yes and no's regarding filters. I chose to get a uv (clear) filter for the sole purpose of protecting the glass in the lens. All the other filters actually do play a role in the outcome of the picture. A lot more research will have to be done to figure out what a particular filter will do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back