Please help!!!

ricardovfo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello to all,
I really need your help.

I always loved photography, I had until now a Canon Powershot A610 but I just got married and my first son is on its way so I want to buy my first reflex.
Even though I know Canon and Nikon have both great cameras, I decided to go for canon since I think the menus are much better (easier and faster access, the building quality also better especially on some of the lenses, and the built in focus motor).

I honestly was thinking in Buying a basic entry camera Canon 1100d, because from what I’ve read the difference between the pictures taken by any of the entry level cameras (1100d; 550d; d3100 or d5100) is not that great and I have serious doubts that I can take real use of the video function of these DSLRs that is another reason why I putted Nikon 3100d out of the way.

But when I started looking to the packs available in Portugal for the 1100d I got a little disappointed. I think canon is really making a big effort to separate their cameras from each other.

The only pack available with stabilized lens is with a 18-55, and what everyone tells me is that a 18-55 lens in very limited and that in a few moths I’ll be looking for another lens to work with and I’ll spend more money after ,then if I would buy a better pack now.

So I started looking for the body only and lens apart and I found a good deal for the 18-135 canon lens stabilized 349€ with the body only (399€+349€) 748€.
The real question comes now, there is also available a pack of the 550 with the same lens for 849€ with of course Full HD, more ISO, and a 1M dot screen, but does is it worth the extra effort?

So resuming I have four questions for you:

Do you think 18-55 lenses are really a poor lens to entry the SLR world and should I go for a all terrain 18-135?

Do you think the 550d is worth the extra 100€?

Does anyone with a 1100d or 550d can tell me if they actually use it for filming (normal people please ;) no pros for this one)? Is it relatively easy to keep the children focused when they are running if you shoot with a closed aperture for example?

Please a really appreciate you help on this, it’s the first time a really look to DSLRs and I’m a bit lost.

All comments are appreciated.

Thanks

Ricardo

Too bad no one answered in this forum, probably no one knew how to help me so I leave you here a couple of posts exchanged in cameralabs.com that might be of use to anybody that passes through here.

Camera Labs :: View topic - Please HELP!!!

Good photos & videos to you all

Ricardo

Most reactions

Back