What's new

Point and Shoot vs. DSLR

marcgalera

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 9, 2009
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know the major differences between Point and shoots and DSLRs, but i have a Canon PowerShot SX110 IS which is basically a DSLR but in point and shoot camera body. It has Manual, Aperature, and Shutter Speed settings. I want a Nikon D5000 but i have no money. is it worth it buying the d5000 even if the basic settings are similar?


I'd like to clarify: I am very familiar with DSLRs. I have used a Nikon D90, Nikon D5000, Nikon D60, Nikon D40.
 
Last edited:
I've had that camera, and although it's a decent point and shoot - it's no DSLR by any means. Granted, the manual controls are there... but the sensor is so tiny in comparison.

If you have no money, then don't worry about it - your point and shoot is quite nice.
 
DSLR but in point and shoot camera body.
A digital single-lens reflex camera (digital SLR or DSLR) is a digital camera that uses a mechanical mirror system and pentaprism to direct light from the lens to an optical viewfinder on the back of the camera.
VS
Point-and-shoot camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

to learn exposure, composition, lighting, etc, you don't need an slr, but if you want to apply some of the funky things you'll learn, slr is a way to go.

IF you don't have the money for an upgrade, stick to what you have and learn basics. :)
 
I haven't seen your work, but I will say you have a very capable P&S. It's best to grow as much as you can with the camera before moving on. It has a lot it can teach you wihtout breaking the bank. A lot of photography newbs who pick up SLRs won't be able to touch your photos with your P&S if you know more than they do. The only real disadvantage(well there is a BUNCH of little things, like DOF and stuff, but for all intents and purposes, only 2 disadvantages) is the lack of interchangeable lenses, and worse low light performance, but you should be able to see good results regardless.
 
Hmmmm.... do you REALLY know the differences between a point and shoot and an dslr???

The most important difference, BY FAR is sensor size. And in this way the two are not even close.

Sensor size of the cannon sx110is = 6.16 x 4.62 mm
Sensor size of the d5000 = 23.6x15.8mm

What this means is that the sx110is has roughly the same number of pixels packed into a sensor that is 13 times smaller! This strains the optics of the camera causing a lack of sharpness, it also means the pixels are smaller which makes them less sensitive to light--requiring higher gain to reproduce the same image brightness. High gain = more error (noise, fringing, poor color repro etc.)
 
its like the difference between watching a movie on ur 13inch laptop vs. on an IMAX theater
 
i have my portfolio here: marcgalera.zzl.org
 
I have a SX110IS. At first I thought the same thing... till I picked up a Canon 30D... now I see a world of difference. The sensor in the SX110IS is not on par with those in DSLR cameras.
 
I know the major differences between Point and shoots and DSLRs, but i have a Canon PowerShot SX110 IS which is basically a DSLR but in point and shoot camera body. It has Manual, Aperature, and Shutter Speed settings. I want a Nikon D5000 but i have no money. is it worth it buying the d5000 even if the basic settings are similar?

It might be a decent P&S but it's not an SLR in any manner, shape or form.

The "basic settings" in a Yugo are the same as in a Beemer. Which would you prefer?
 
How does the PowerShot SX110 Compare to the G9? Just wondering, because the price is better...
 
Although you have a great Point and Shoot, its no SLR. A rule of thumb, you shouldn't spend more than $750 on a camera unless you're going to really learn it inside and out. While a D5000 (go Nikon!) is a great camera, its lot a lot of buttons and knobs and a lot of things to learn about, and there will always be another lens you want, or another flash, etc. It becomes an addiction. I suggest - if possible - borrowing an SLR from someone, seeing if you're willing to learn how to shoot with it, then plan to save for it and shop Ebay. There are always tons of great deals on there.
 
How does the PowerShot SX110 Compare to the G9? Just wondering, because the price is better...

My cousin has a G9 and i like it very much. It has a hotshoe, which means your can add a speedflash to it, you can attach lens to it, such as telephoto lens. However the maximum aperature is f/4.8, and the sx110 is f/8.0.

here's the full specs and such for the G9 PowerShot G9 Digital Camera
 
While a D5000 (go Nikon!) is a great camera, its lot a lot of buttons and knobs and a lot of things to learn about...

I got my first SLR in 1964 and, since then, have never been without one. It took me several months to become comfortable with all of the settings of my D80. I've had it now for some 2-1/2 years and I still occasionally screw up a setting. Just today, I had everything set perfectly on the camera but I forgot to confirm that the lens VR was turned on!
 
Like everyone else here said. The sensor size is a big deal. But it's also about the glass..
if you don't like what you have you can't change it.

Also, if you don't have the cash for the d5000 why not pickup something older to learn on? you can buy a D70 with a 18-55 possible VR for around $300 used and as you get better you can save up for a new camera. or better glass..
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom