Point Pelee beach - expired Kodak HIE (infrared)

terri

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Point Pelee beach north view.jpg

I'm seriously happy that I got several workable negatives from a roll of HIE that I decided to take along on a recent trip. Expiration date 2009: it's been in the freezer for years until our recent move, and I've been fretting that this delicate old film wouldn't cut it anymore. I shot the roll with a #25 red filter to tease out what I could. Developed it in Tmax 1:4 for about 6.5 minutes.

I'm looking again at this file and I think it needs a little more cleanup, but this is what I have now. :icon_mrgreen:

There was a wild storm building up, and I took several shots on this point, which has the distinction of being the southern most point of Canada, on Lake Erie. I was facing north here.

A couple more I scanned today.

A storm was coming over fairly quickly and I wanted to see if I could get any scattered rays picked up without the lens hood on when pointing towards the bright sky. That's something this film has always been good at. Not overly dramatic here, but some.

Point Pelee cropped.jpg

Storm coming in:

Storm moving in - Point Pelee.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Awesome!

I hope to get the D40 sent off for IR conversion.

Strong, striking images taken to another level by the 2009 vintage HIE--a good year, obviously!
Pelee is an old fave.

@terri these are seriously cool! You've really piqued my interest, I need to dig through my freezer.

Bear, cgw, Smoke - thanks all, for the kind words! I didn't have much confidence in the stuff. Delighted to be so wrong.

Plus, the weather was great for infrared for those few days - hot, stormy, etc. I got lucky!

Must chip the loose, frozen peas off a few old freezer-bound bricks. A brave little film-only lab opened recently nearby. Must thaw some b&w 120 for the Bronica and Mamiyas.

Must chip the loose, frozen peas off a few old freezer-bound bricks. A brave little film-only lab opened recently nearby. Must thaw some b&w 120 for the Bronica and Mamiyas.
Oh, now you HAVE to do it! ;)

The first one's a stunner, great balance between dark and light in the sky/clouds, trees and beach and water... gorgeous.

I like the starkness of the tree trunk (what's left of it), in B&W ir it almost has an eerie quality to it. Might have had an even more isolated feeling without people in it (although I like it this way too).

The last one of the winding road has a lot of feeling to it too. These are all outstanding.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back