What's new

Polarizing and gradient filter

alvarez57

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 10, 2011
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
Location
New Orleans, Louisiana
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know this may have been asked trillions of times, so I will appreciate your patience.. :blushing:

I have a Canon EFS 18-135mm lens, circumference 67mm. I am interested in getting excellent quality Polarizing and Gradient filters. Read somewhere here not necessarily Canon are the best.
Which ones would you recommend based on hands on experience?
Thank you.
:D
 
I'd like to know where you heard the a polarizer and GND filter are not necessary. True, the world will continue to exist if you don't get them, but they sure as heck can make your pix better. I've never heard "Canon are the best", either. There's lots of great 3rd-party filters out there. There's also a lot more junk and crap, so stick with names you know, like B+W, Tiffen, Hoya, Cokin, et al.

BTW, if you're shooting digital, make sure you get a circular polarizer. Otherwise you'll tend to mess things up.
 
Your lens is 67mm in diameter, not circumference.
 
I'd like to know where you heard the a polarizer and GND filter are not necessary. True, the world will continue to exist if you don't get them, but they sure as heck can make your pix better. I've never heard "Canon are the best", either. There's lots of great 3rd-party filters out there. There's also a lot more junk and crap, so stick with names you know, like B+W, Tiffen, Hoya, Cokin, et al.

BTW, if you're shooting digital, make sure you get a circular polarizer. Otherwise you'll tend to mess things up.

Did I miss something from the OP?
 
I think Sparky may've misinterpreted?

To answer the original question though, I only have experience with the Heliopan circular polarizer, and I'm quite happy with it. It doesn't seem to have issues with flare or color cast, and is very solidly built. Canon are not really filter specialists, so what you've read is mostly true. Heliopan and B+W get consistently excellent reviews.

As mentioned earlier, it is important to get a circular polarizer, not linear, to ensure proper autofocus function.
 
Heh, Sparky, he said Canon filters are not necessarily the best, not that the filters themselves are not necessary.

To the OP, check websites like Adorama.com and BHPhotoVideo.com for filters of the 67mm diameter variety and look at the reviews. This will also help you in your quest for the better filters. Also, you can use price filters to sort out the ones above your budget.
 
Railphotog: obviously you know better your geometry than me ;)

Jonh2005: Budget really is not a priority but quality.

Sparky: Tiffen and Hoya, those I'm familiarized with.

Analog.universe: circular, heh?;) Last filters I used was for a MinoltaXE-7 waaaaay back in the 70's!!!

Thanks you all, appreciated!
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom