Polishing Scratches Out Of Displays?

Discussion in 'Canon Cameras' started by Cortian, Jan 23, 2018.

1. zulu42

zulu42 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    "Mint" is...mint, like a quarter right out of the coin mint. So, I agree, it's not mint.

We had a laugh on a guitar forum about the use of "near mint" when describing guitars for sale. One member posted a photo of a rather beat up guitar, describing it as near mint. Took a good while before somebody figured out that, in the photo of the guitar, there was a flower pot in the background with mint growing in it...

I've polished out scratches in plastic before, you do have to remove some significant material. Scary.
    I'd try a really light leveling wax, like an automotive finish wax with no abrasive. Try to fill the scuffs and make them dissappear. Have you got any Rain-X in the garage?

2. Cortian

Cortian No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    You unintentionally brought up another issue.

Yeah... there's another thing: The back of the grip on the right-hand side is worn smooth. It is no longer matte.

I think this thing is going to have to go back to the seller :(

3. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Wouldn't you suspect that there is a digit missing? Shall we presume it is the fourth digit? (Whatever it might have been.)

Some people lie, and some people are simply careless about writing numbers.

4. RowdyRay

RowdyRay No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    A few scratches really won't affect it, but send it back if not happy.

For what it's worth, I've used Novus plastic polish for many years. Get the three step kit. It's an excellent product and does what it's supposed to do. Polish plastic. Tried it on several camera screens and it did nothing but make a bigger mess to clean up.

5. Cortian

Photos OK to edit
    I believe my seller is on the up and up. I suspect his seller wasn't, and my seller was just being optimistic. (Many people have honest, but unrealistic views about the condition and value of their stuff.)

If it was just the scratches I could probably overlook it, but I get the impression this thing has seen a good bit more service than was suggested and it's certainly not "mint." "Very good," for a ten year old camera, certainly. Perhaps "excellent." It is not even "near mint," much less "mint," IMO.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  6. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Oh hell's no! That camera hasta' go baaaaaack to the un-minty seller's casa!!!

Now...I really thought the LCD screen on the 20D and 5D I own is/was solid glass, not plastic. There are plastic covers for the LCD screens for most d-slrs...I take those and throw them in a drawer,and use the rear LCD the way it was born: buck nekkid!

So...on this not-mint 40D...is the rear LCD's actual glass the issue? Or is it the $10 plastic LCD cover that snaps on over the glass?

8. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If it's glass, won't do a thing but make a mess. If it has a plastic cover, he has OCD and is far sighted....

9. Cortian

Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

(A nit: I don't know that the seller is un-minty, but this camera body certainly is ;).)

Do you mean the protective film that most virgin displays sport? That most people peel off and toss? Kind of like screen protectors, but not quite as nice?

It looks like the 20D a buddy gave me still has those on it. They're actually in better condition than the "glass" on this 40D! So I'm leaving them on it.

There is nothing I can tell that's snapped-on to the screen. Looks like nekkid glass. Except... is it really glass, or simply scratch-resistant plastic? (I suspect the latter.)

(N.B.: The discussion is academic at this point, as I've already decided to return the item. Just letting my missive to the seller sit and "perk" for a bit, before reviewing it a last time and sending it off.)

I do have OCD (think something along the lines of Sheldon Cooper, but not quite that bad), and I use both reading glasses and driving glasses. (Too many years spent staring at computer screens precisely an arm's length away, I suppose.) But I have examined the offending surfaces in detail, with the aid of eyewear, and am certain the unsatisfactory condition is, in fact, on the "glass."

10. BananaRepublic

BananaRepublic No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Step 1: Open out the lcd, if its a rotating one, and gentle wrap it with Styrofoam and secure it with five or six wraps of duct tape.
    Step 2: Bash the hell of the unprotected body with a bat or a 2x4.
    Step 3: Unwrap the LCD and compare.

11. Cortian

Photos OK to edit
    Wouldn't that render the item un-returnable [​IMG]

12. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

I think you are going to be returning a lot of "mint" cameras.