Portaits at night

Garbz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.auer.garbz.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was supposed to go to their house to take pictures of them before they attend a formal event. But when we got there I cringed when I saw the sun setting and one of them wasn't nearly ready yet. But I decided to try my best anyway.

This were taken in absolute blackness, so please ignore any critique about their poses, I left that mostly up to them since I couldn't even see them through the view finder. What I am after is critique on the lighting and the image itself. I had only an SB800 off camera on a flash stand, and my camera mounted flash to fill in the resulting harsh shadows. (an umbrella is next on my to buy list)

DSC_0871.jpg

I know it would look better on a green lawn but .. I live in Australia :)

Very true. I did get the critique that I didn't fill the subject in the frame enough from a friend the other day. I would still prefer to stick with the 3:2 format though, I'll have a play with cropping and post again tonight.

Any improvements about the lighting? It is a little harsh, and if I can't afford an umbrella within the next month (reads: find a real job) then I'll probably have to whip up something tricky :) What about the angles That the lighting is coming from?

I'm not sure if you know, but this is the PROFESSIONAL portrait & wedding gallery...... not ameture

I think your main was a little too far to the left, and maybe a little low, but I think you can salvage it in PS.

Looks like a tough situation. Do anything you can to get some lights in the background. I don't mean strobes necessarily, but just out of focus shapes of light and darkness, or spots, twinkles, etc... Even if it's just the lights of their house out of focus.

I'm not sure if you know, but this is the PROFESSIONAL portrait & wedding gallery...... not ameture

Oh really I got paid for this. So that makes me "professional" regardless of how bad my photos may seem. Also I'm not sure if you know but this thread is 3 months old. Despite how taboo it is to raise a thread from the grave, the least you could do is say something productive. Also learn to spell amature, your post does not look very professional and should probably have been posted in the off-the-wall section.

Ahhh Ksmattfish, that's an interesting suggestion. Giving the crap conditions and the road behind them I went out of my way to keep the background as non-existent as possible. That probably contributed to the boring nature of this picture.

heip yeah that could be. The harsh shadows definitely amplify that effect.

I was really excited to find this site, until I saw this.:thumbdown:

hahahahahahaha that comment was made three months later!? hahahahahahah jeez!

Koda-46 has the first really nasty post I've seen in a few days (and many, many hours) on this forum, which isn't at all bad really. Actually, much better than another one I frequent, in another interest area entirely. For one thing Sir, if you're going to be mean, don't look like a clown and blow the spelling like that - very amateurish. Even trolls should have standards!

On topic: you really got some good expressions as well - congratulations. They really got into the session well, clearly - but I'm just a rank amateur (never been paid for nuthin', except in kind maybe), so what would I know? Seriously, am I persona non grata around here, opinion-wise? I promise not to inflict any images on you here, but as a potential customer .....

I've been on here a while and only recently started spotting Kodas lovely, constructive criticism - not sure how new he/she is?? or how old for that matter??... some of the comments were so full on I actually tossed up whether or not to post my latest stuff.... but then i thought, what the heck... i havent seen him/her post anything in this section of the forum anyway x moral of the post... don't let a troll discourage you... i certainly won't x

I'd have nothing against hearing criticisms that this picture is rubbish providing that there's no personal attacks and maybe something constructive comes out of it. Koda if you are still there how would you take a picture when you have no lighting gear with you other than an SB-800, outside, and unexpectedly at night in the dark?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back