Portfolio

darin3200

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
friedrichsphotography.com
I was thinking about sumbitting a portfolio to a small, local newspaper. I was wondering how important is it to have a portfolio case and actual prints. Do people ever just put the pictures on a CD?

It would depend on each publication. You may want to have a word with the Photo Editor first.

danalec99 said:
It would depend on each publication. You may want to have a word with the Photo Editor first.
I looked at the staff on the website and the paper doesn't have a photo editor. Most of the pictures are ones taken by the normal reporters who carry little point-and-shoots with them.

For a small publication like this I think a CD will work.

You have to submit it to someone. Just ask them how it's normally done. Some people want to see real prints, but these days I think many people find a CD or DVD with files to be more convenient.

Cd's are super convenient these days. Personal websites are great. Generally editors do not have a lot of time. If you can "wow" them in under 60 seconds your chances are greatly increased.

if you need larger prints for portfolios at a not extortionate rate - try www.pixum.com - I always find large prints wow more than anything else unless you have an unbelievably slick personal website, especially as I prefer to meet face-to-face. If you cannot meet them personally then a CD or similar is about the only other option I guess.

Having both would look much more professional.

Show the book and give them a CD to keep.

But present it well. Not just a cd with marker on it.

I know in class they tell us to have a book, cd and a web portfolio.

Ihaveaquestion said:
Show the book and give them a CD to keep.

Yeah, this is the way to go. If they have time to look at the actual prints, I think most folks are more impressed with large prints, than looking at the photos on the computer. But if they don't have time to peruse your portfolio you've left them the CD portfolio to look at when they can.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back