Posing an Interesting Question

Starting with the top of the line D7100 wont make the beginner have better photos(At first)..But it can still be a great first camera that the beginner will not grow out of fast..Lots of great features on the D7100 that has already been mentioned.

Also it's fun to note that the "entry level" cameras are better than pro models from not too far back.

Plus optics are better than they have ever been. So a "beginner's camera" is more than capable to producing images with great quality. It's just up to the operator to tell it what to do. .

I see what you are asking, though it is kinda vague. The answer to the question is no, those two cameras have the same sensor, the differences are related to other camera functions that are completely dependent on the user.

I would also add that very hi spec cameras are easier generally to use because they usually have a button for each individual setting. This may not help make a better photo, but possibly your second photo may be better if you need completely different settings and have limited time to change those settings

I am of the opinion that whatever level you are at, you should invest in very good glass even if you don't understand anything yet.

I don't know how many people would necessarily agree with this. If you are interested in photography as a hobby, in learning photography and bettering your abilites to take quality images, I think it is important to truly understand at least the basics and where you are headed as a photographer. Without that, you may very well end up wasting a lot of money on something that you actually don't use very much (ex: you bought a macro lens and end up really just enjoying street photography...whoops) or buy a lens expecting one thing and end up getting results that are entirely different from that. Not to mention, a better lens isn't going to make a world of difference if you don't even understand the exposure triangle yet (assuming you are not shooting in auto or a priority mode).

Will a more expensive camera let a beginner take better photos, or would a beginner be better off with something cheaper?

I think this varies form person to person. Camera specs have been discussed above, but it is also important to look at where someone wants to go with the hobby, how long they want to use the camera, if it will never move from "auto" and will only be taking family snapshots, etc. I also have the D3200 and really enjoy it. My husband bought it for me as a gift before our last vacation -- he stuck with a cheaper model because it very well could have ended up being something that we only broke out for vacations and family parties. Turns out I really enjoy it; had he known that, I think a D5100 or even D7100 would have been a better choice as I could grow into it for a bit longer. That being said, I have a LONG way to go before I feel that my camera body will be holding me back.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back