Power Foam (Mellow Remix)

invisible

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.federicobuchbinder.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A few weeks after Power Foam, I travelled further south along the Winnipeg River to visit Pine Falls Generating Station. I was lucky to be given a one-on-one, hour-long guided tour of the whole dam. Pretty interesting stuff, although I was not allowed to take pictures inside (for security reasons, I assume).

So here's a shot of the monster from the outside. The foam here is not nearly as powerful as the one linked above (the dam is much smaller), but I think it's photogenic nevertheless. Who knows, I might try to sell this series to Manitoba Hydro...

Bonus photo: Old Pinawa Dam, not in use since the 50's and now part of the Pinawa Dam Provincial Heritage Park.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Sorry, but your links aren't coming up :(

I think this is one where I prefer the color to the B/W. You caught the colors very well and the blue water against the white-caps with the shades of blue in the sky work great for me. I really like the image.

I'd tend to agree, I'm not too keen on the conversion, it's a bit washed out and there's a lot of detail lost. I like 1 and 3 though, especially 1.

I think this is one where I prefer the color to the B/W. You caught the colors very well and the blue water against the white-caps with the shades of blue in the sky work great for me. I really like the image.
I'd tend to agree, I'm not too keen on the conversion, it's a bit washed out and there's a lot of detail lost. I like 1 and 3 though, especially 1.
I agree with both. Light was maybe too soft this time for the B&W to work like in the original "Power Foam" shot linked above.

Still, I like the different look the dam gets with the sunset light in the colour version. It gives the building a warm feeling that makes these waters seem less menacing than they really are. (Two weeks ago [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJmqufP5hXo"]a 22-year old fell in the water while fishing[/ame] exactly where these photos were shot; his body was found a few days later a couple km down the river.)

Thanks for looking and commenting, guys.

Federico, remember in another thread when it had been mentioned that some of your images seem to have a yellow cast?

Was your photo of the old Pinawa Dam shot at a different time or with different equipment than what you used for the Pine Falls photo?

I downloaded the Pinawa photo and looked at the info palette. Yellow is way off the scale almost everywhere in it, from clouds, to foliage, and concrete.

Oh, and I agree with Ian et al regarding the wow of the colour image.

:mrgreen:

Was your photo of the old Pinawa Dam shot at a different time or with different equipment than what you used for the Pine Falls photo?

I downloaded the Pinawa photo and looked at the info palette. Yellow is way off the scale almost everywhere in it, from clouds, to foliage, and concrete.
I might have poured some yellow on the Pinawa sky, so this time I'm guilty as charged :)

And thanks for the kind words!

Most reactions

Back