Pre vision - Under exposed images

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I set out to experiment with the EC dial on Nikon F3HP, 50mm. Acros shot at 400. I did not add any filters. I simply looked at a scene, determined the exposure setting in my mind, properly metered, selected my visual choice, logged it, and then applied my -EC based off of visual. Super productive experiment. I learned that I have a good understanding of exposure, visually. I also learned control of high lights and shadows. Project EC brain

img182E.jpg

img183E.jpg

img181E.jpg

Good pictures and interesting to read. I find it hard to comment, viewing digitally manipulated scans of negs. It's satisying to be adept at Sunny 16 shooting, EV system estimations, Zone five identifying etc but equally i find it very productive to use Program, with eyeballed EC adjustments based on the light/reflected light or lack of. I like how you see and the overall vibe of how you present the light. Similarly, i feel it's a tiresome dogma to always judge processed digital camera imagery in terms of needing an optimised histogram to validate the image as correctly done.

Interesting approach. I'd have to agree that your eye/mind exposure meter seems to have become pretty accurate. I really wish that light pole and light wasn't in the first shot, because I really like it.

Good pictures and interesting to read. I find it hard to comment, viewing digitally manipulated scans of negs. It's satisying to be adept at Sunny 16 shooting, EV system estimations, Zone five identifying etc but equally i find it very productive to use Program, with eyeballed EC adjustments based on the light/reflected light or lack of. I like how you see and the overall vibe of how you present the light. Similarly, i feel it's a tiresome dogma to always judge processed digital camera imagery in terms of needing an optimised histogram to validate the image as correctly done.
Thanks. Yup, the first image was -2 because there was a great deal of light blasting on the mannequin, off the glass, and the angle I wanted to include the pin up girl sign. I was elated when I scanned this, I thought for sure it was going to be a fail. I cropped a little bit, and bumped the highlights a tad in post. So my approach was solid. The second one was different, no glare, so I bumped it -1 EC for the white hat. In post I bumped contrast a smidge and tiny crop. I really am experimenting, trying to find my way. My goal in film is to be able to have a nice negative to work with when printing, minimal fuss when ever I get an enlarger. I never look at my histogram in digital and it has bitten me a couple times. However, my continued focus is to work on getting it right in camera. I think film has really helped me in this area. I spend very little time in post when I do shoot digital.

Interesting approach. I'd have to agree that your eye/mind exposure meter seems to have become pretty accurate. I really wish that light pole and light wasn't in the first shot, because I really like it.
I kind of wondered myself. I accept it but not sure if I have the skill to get rid of it in post, plus it's a negative scan which makes the cloning thing weird. I guess I could try, it bugged me a little too. I know eventually I will have to gain skill in editing for this type of situation. I will at some point. Right now I am focused on the image in the camera. I suppose I could always come back to it. I am so mental with things, everything is a SOP. I need to lighten up eventually.

Most reactions

Back