Primes

three_eyed_otter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Primes.

What are they? I was reading a thread in the more adnvanced forum and they they spoke of primes when changing lens.

have a good one
3Eo

They are just lenses with a single focal point, which allows them to have a wider aperture range and thus ideal for shooting in various situations because of their "speed" (wider aperture means faster shutter speed which means better ability to "stop" action): weddings, music "gigs", general portraiture, fidgety kids, animal photography, etc. The most common seen is the 50MM f1.8 or f1.4.

One thing not mentioned is the fixed nature of the focal length means that a high quality lens is easy to manufacture as they have less elements and fewer of their elements move. Even if you do not have use for some applications like weddings or concerts or something requiring huge depth of field, as an example the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 which is cheaper than pretty much every kit zoom lens out there is as sharp as a zoom lens more than 5 times the price, not to mention they rarely suffer vignetting, barrel distortion, or chromatic aberration. And if you can afford 5x the price, a Carl Zeiss Distagon fixed focal lens will outperform pretty much all cameras you mount them too ;)

Well, unless I look for a brand besides Nikon, I guess my D40x and I won't be using any primes.:er::meh:

have a good one
3Eo

Most reactions

Back