Problems with photos transfered from PC to MAC

BekahAura

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
reflectivephotos.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have no idea what's going or what I'm doing wrong. All I've been trying to do for the past few days is transfer my photos (mostly JPEG files) from my PC laptop to my new MAC desktop via a usb hard drive.

When I open the files on my MAC some of them are the original size I saved them at, while others have been compressed to 72ppi. On my PC these files are 300ppi, when I check the hard drive on my PC they are 300ppi. But as soon as I plug the hard drive into my MAC random images are at 72ppi.

Can someone please help??? I've already formatted the hard drive several times on my PC... I don't know what else to do. Aside from trying to e-mail myself the files or transferring the files 2 gigs at a time with my thumb drive.

Does anyone have experience switching to the MAC platform???

Does it matter? Do you have a 300ppi monitor?

I have no idea what's going or what I'm doing wrong. All I've been trying to do for the past few days is transfer my photos (mostly JPEG files) from my PC laptop to my new MAC desktop via a usb hard drive.

When I open the files on my MAC some of them are the original size I saved them at, while others have been compressed to 72ppi. On my PC these files are 300ppi, when I check the hard drive on my PC they are 300ppi. But as soon as I plug the hard drive into my MAC random images are at 72ppi.

Can someone please help??? I've already formatted the hard drive several times on my PC... I don't know what else to do. Aside from trying to e-mail myself the files or transferring the files 2 gigs at a time with my thumb drive.

Does anyone have experience switching to the MAC platform???

ppi has only to do with prints.
Changing ppi does not really change your picture (nor the file size), is just an indication of how large will be the image when printed. So, nothing to worry about it. If you image is 2400 pixel wide, at 240 ppi it will be printed on 10 inches, at 300 ppi on 8 inches. The number of pixels remain the same.

When I look at the file info on my Mac it says 72ppi but it also says the resolution is 72 when I open up it up in Gimp going to image > print size. Although it doesn't specify ppi or dpi, I'm assuming it does matter because that's the print size.

When I look at the file info on my Mac it says 72ppi but it also says the resolution is 72 when I open up it up in Gimp going to image > print size. Although it doesn't specify ppi or dpi, I'm assuming it does matter because that's the print size.

just change it if you like the number three hundred. It is most likely just matter of different default setup in software. By the way, with an home printer you typically print at a specific size more than at a specific resolution, e.g. with a Canon t2i, you have 5184 pixels on the long side. If you try to print at 300 ppi, you need a printer able to give at least 18 inches on the side. Forget of course 72ppi (too many inches); but the sense is that that value is secondary to your needs.

I don't use a home printer, and MPIX labs specifies at least 100 ppi or dpi.... for any print. What's strange is even though there is a difference in ppi in the files when I look at the mac copy, the file size seems to be the same in mb.

I'm just so confused, and I hate macs.

But thanks for all your input.

I don't use a home printer, and MPIX labs specifies at least 100 ppi or dpi.... for any print. What's strange is even though there is a difference in ppi in the files when I look at the mac copy, the file size seems to be the same in mb.
Pretend you have a picture that is 2000x3000 pixels... If you were to print that at 100 ppi, it would be 20"x30". That means that Mpix will not print a 2000x3000 file larger than 20x30, because if they did - it would be less than their requirement of 100ppi. I think 20x30 is the largest they print anyway - but you get the point (hopefully).

and I hate macs.
Then why did you buy one...?

What's strange is even though there is a difference in ppi in the files when I look at the mac copy, the file size seems to be the same in mb.

if you read what I just wrote and I also wrote on your previous thread, you will discover is not strange at all. ppi has nothing to do with pixel number (third time).

You may change it from the menu Image (or Picture: I'm looking at the italian translation of Gimp for Mac), Print size. Any imaging software has this option.

Thank you all very much for your patience and input! I'm not really this dense, I swear. I really don't know why I didn't get it, but one of the photographers I work for showed me what you were talking about.

It's just really odd to me that some of my images are set to different resolutions, oh well, like you said it really doesn't matter, all of my images are just fine... but oh you already knew that :lmao:

Thanks again everyone!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back