Problems with strobes...

EvoG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.evogphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so recently I got 3 wescott strobelite plus strobes. I posted in here that i was having problems fireing them off with my cheap RPS studio wireless triggers but then someone helped me and it resolved it. So now i have a new problem. In the studio i am using one reciever with a sync cord on one light and all 3 of my lights are going off which is great:thumbup:(Obviously this is happening through the optical slave) So then i go on location and i power all 3 lights with a vagabond port power 2. None of the lights optical slave and i assume its because of the sunlight overpowering making it hard for my lights to pick up other flashes. So i run 2 transmitters on 2 different lights and they work great. One light still wont go off through the optical slave. I go up to it and its ready to fire i hit test it goes off... So i take my one transmitter and try it on the light that wouldnt fire and it isnt talking with the camera I get no flash out of it at all on location and it is always the one light that does this. But then when i go in the studio it works dandy...

Sorry for the giant paragraph! any help is great! I am thinking of getting cybersyncs to try and see if that works...

thanks!

Yes, optical slaves can be finicky when used outdoors, especially in bright sunlight. If you know where the slave cell is on the light, you may be able to aim the unit in the direction of the other 'master' light. Or, you could get a peanut optical slave (maybe on a short cord) and plug that into the sync socket of the light. This would allow you to aim the slave cell at the other lights.

Better solution (but more expensive) would be to have a receiver on each light. And yes, cheap radio trigger sets can be finicky too. Cyber Syncs would certainly work, but you may have to get receivers for each light if you are going to be shooting outdoors like that.

Yes, optical slaves can be finicky when used outdoors, especially in bright sunlight. If you know where the slave cell is on the light, you may be able to aim the unit in the direction of the other 'master' light. Or, you could get a peanut optical slave (maybe on a short cord) and plug that into the sync socket of the light. This would allow you to aim the slave cell at the other lights.

Better solution (but more expensive) would be to have a receiver on each light. And yes, cheap radio trigger sets can be finicky too. Cyber Syncs would certainly work, but you may have to get receivers for each light if you are going to be shooting outdoors like that.

thanks for the reply! I am gonna by the cybersyncs (3 recievers with one transmitter) I just thought it was wierd that the one light wouldnt go off no matter what on location it was confusing.

Most reactions

Back