project - help please!

lisa_13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
so my final project for Intro to Photographic Basics (Photo 101) is due in 3 weeks...

I WAS planning on shooting a music piece, but I haven't been able to find a band to shoot in time, so I'm planning on trashing that idea and coming up with another

With Thanksgiving on Thursday, I decided I want to shoot food...and having this be a delicious homemade meal, I may compare it to the ****ty cafeteria food we have at college.

However I need to come up with like, a topic I guess? And re-write a proposal, and find two photographers that will influence me on this project.

So, I need some help with that last bit..titles/themes, and photographers

Thank you very very very much in advance!!

<3 Lisa

Mind you that taking pictures of food is one of the hardest things to do.

Taking a picture of a plate with "stuff on it" tends to look "disgusting".
Meat overlit, salad looking dark or overlit.
Pretty much every element in the dish needs different lighting.

I don't know, it's always hard to make it look "delicious".

But, as long as you keep looking at it as a challenge, which it is of course, you should have fun with it.

And let us see what you came up with :)

I wouldn't say that every piece needs different lighting, but maybe appropriate lighting, which can be achieved with only one light if that's what you have to work with.

This was hastily done and looks pretty bad, but I had to use a gobo for the rice since it's white and had to do some additional darkening with the dodge/burn tool. Still was just one light. Plus I was in a hurry and my dog wanted to eat it as much as I did:

This one isn't so bad, even though there's light and dark colors. I had a much bigger light source and with white ceilings and walls, the light being bounced helped to fill in the shadows. Still only one light:

And I have some additional mediocre photos. It's about colors and understanding lighting. One is chicken breast stuffed with mozzerella and asparagus. Lightly brown chicken, bright white cheese, and dark asparagus. With using one light and a smaller light source, it creates a mess by exposing the chicken correctly, but blowing out the cheese and underexposing the asparagus. I could have fixed it by moving it to a room that wasn't so dark and had some lighter surfaces for the light spill from the umbrella to bounce on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back