Pukeko, something is not quite right?

RobNZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took these a couple of days ago late afternoon, about an hour before sunset. Something is not quite right and I cant put my finger on it, could be the colour cast from the strong low afternoon sun perhaps.

1. Orange cast I think.

pukeko002.jpg

pukeko003.jpg

3. Hard low late afternoon sunlight.

pukeko004.jpg

4. Best bird head shot I have taken to date, something in background ruined the smooth blue of the sky though. Especially around the beak. This shot is probably the most colour accurate.

pukeko001.jpg

These birds are called Pukeko's, they are a native swamp hen here in NZ, one of the few native species to thrive alongside humans. Similar birds are found in other parts of the world.

Well, I, for one, like the late afternoon light you had when you took these.
And I agree: the bird portrait is the best. She could order it for her passport from you ;).

So am I being to overly critical?

The more I delve into this photography world the more critical I become of my own work.

I think it is the first one that is throwing me off.

Wow I love these! I think the top one it just isnt on the right angle? makes the pukeko look awkward sort of... hmmm and perhaps i dont like how his legs a cut off?
Love the last three though, specially the bottom one

the first two I think you should of kept all the birds in focus, however on the third shot it works well. the first pic just looks awkward to me..positioning and what not...

Wow I love these! I think the top one it just isnt on the right angle? makes the pukeko look awkward sort of... hmmm and perhaps i dont like how his legs a cut off?
Love the last three though, specially the bottom one

Thanks, I think its the leg cut off as you say.

the first two I think you should of kept all the birds in focus, however on the third shot it works well. the first pic just looks awkward to me..positioning and what not...

Agreed, thanks.

Th last one is incredible, it's just there seems to be a pillar of light coming out of its head.

I like these, excuse my ignorance but are these birds exclusive to NZ?

I don't think there is much wrong with the color... Like others said, the positioning might be off in a few, and they look just slightly too sharp to me.

For me, the DOF you chose is wrong for the first 3.

To me all the birds in each shot should be in focus. #1 looks particular strange.

I don't think there is much wrong with the color... Like others said, the positioning might be off in a few, and they look just slightly too sharp to me.

I agree with this. I would have liked to see the first one stopped down a little to keep the second bird in focus.

Same with the second one, would have liked to see the bird in the foreground more focused.

Is the DoF even real on the second one? Looks faked to me. The two birds in the background don't add anything to the image except distraction.

I really like the fourth one.

Overall the reds seem a little hot. I don't know how close to actual color they are, but they're borderline blown, I think.

I like these, excuse my ignorance but are these birds exclusive to NZ?

Yes and no, this bird is native to NZ, but you will find very similar birds elsewhere.

Wikipedia said:
Pūkeko is the common name, derived from the Māori language, for the Purple Swamphen (Porphyrio porphyrio) in New Zealand. The subspecies occurring there is Porphyrio porphyrio melanotus, which is also found elsewhere in Australasia, including, in eastern Indonesia, the Mollucas, Aru and Kai Islands, as well as in Papua New Guinea and Australia.

For me, the DOF you chose is wrong for the first 3.

To me all the birds in each shot should be in focus. #1 looks particular strange.

Thanks Keith, I guess when there are multiple subjects close together DOF should be much deeper.

Is the DoF even real on the second one? Looks faked to me. The two birds in the background don't add anything to the image except distraction.

Real, shot with the Canon 300mm L USM F/4 with 1.4x teleconverter, gives very shallow depth of field when wide open even when your focus is a fair distance away. These birds were about 20-30 feet away. The last was about 10 feet away.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back