Purchased a Minolta HI-Matic 11 & have a Battery Question.

Justin TW

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there!

Recently I purchased a Minolta HI-Matic 11 rangefinder. Unsurprisingly the "EPX625" battery that was inside it was dead. I have ordered a replacement "Duracell 625A" that is rated at 1.5V. My question is, will that battery work okay in my camera? I ask is becasue I watched a video where someone was talking about a somewhat similar camera (Yashica Minister-D) that used the same "EPX625" battery and he said that the old 625 batteries ran at 1.35V. He said you just have to compensate for the higher voltage but he never said how or how much to compensate. haha Any suggestions? Or should I be alright?

Thanks in advance!
Justin

Yes, it will work and you will likely need to compensate for the voltage difference. You'll have to compare it with a meter of known accuracy to gauge how much. It's not the same for all cameras.

Lacking another meter you could use the Sunny 16 rule instead.

Another alternative is to use the Wein cell or the MR-9 battery adapter which shouldn't require any compensation (assuming the meter is in good shape).

Last edited:
Yes, it will work and you will likely need to compensate for the voltage difference. You'll have to compare it with a meter of known accuracy to gauge how much. It's not the same for all cameras.

Lacking another meter you could use the Sunny 16 rule instead.

Another alternative is to use the Wein cell or the MR-9 battery adapter which shouldn't require any compensation (assuming the meter is in good shape).

I kind of assumed as much in regards to using a trusted meter and compare. I just wanted to make sure. I think I'd much rather save the money and compensate then get one of the adapters lol they seem to vary in price a lot lol

But thank you Compur for the advice!

Most reactions

Back