astroNikon

'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
yes, Eighteen to Four-Hundred.
for those of you who want Super Zooms.
looks to be fairly compact too considering the range.

Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 and 18-400mm f/3.5-5.6 lens specifications | Nikon Rumors

Tamron 18-400mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC HLD Lens | Nikon Rumors

• Mount: Canon/Nikon
  • Lens design: 16 elements in 11 groups
  • Diaphragm blades: 9 (circular stop)
  • Minimum shooting distance: 17.7 inches (about 0.45 m)
  • Maximum magnification: 1:2.9
  • Image stabilization: approximately 3.5 stops
  • Filter diameter: 72 mm
  • Diameter × length: 3.1 in × 4.8 in (79 mm × 122 mm)
  • Weight: 25.6 oz (726 g)
  • North American price: $649

Read more: Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 and 18-400mm f/3.5-5.6 lens specifications | Nikon Rumors

I really don't like super zoom but for travel this can be a great companion 18-400mm is FX equivalent to 27-600mm and that's just an insane focal range.

I really don't like super zoom but for travel this can be a great companion 18-400mm is FX equivalent to 27-600mm and that's just an insane focal range.
Length is under 5 inches ??
really compact and great for travel for a 1 lens solution.

I have the new version of the Tamron 70-300 and the VC on it is wonderful. If I wasn't planning on selling off all of my Nikon gear, I'd be very interested in this.

I have the new version of the Tamron 70-300 and the VC on it is wonderful. If I wasn't planning on selling off all of my Nikon gear, I'd be very interested in this.
If this lens will ever get a Sony version I will seriously consider it for my Sony a6300 for travel.
So far for all my travels I took my Nikon D750 with the 24-70mm 2.8 and Tamorn 70-200mm 2.8 and I found last trip I couldn't carry the Tamron 70-200mm anymore, I mean the results are amazing but physically its too heavy for me for non paid work so I left it at the hotel.
Probably from now on the Sony will be my travel camera and Nikon work tools, nothing can beat it for quality, reliability and ease of use but when traveling the Sony will do just fine :)

If this lens will ever get a Sony version I will seriously consider it for my Sony a6300 for travel.
So far for all my travels I took my Nikon D750 with the 24-70mm 2.8 and Tamorn 70-200mm 2.8 and I found last trip I couldn't carry the Tamron 70-200mm anymore, I mean the results are amazing but physically its too heavy for me for non paid work so I left it at the hotel.
Probably from now on the Sony will be my travel camera and Nikon work tools, nothing can beat it for quality, reliability and ease of use but when traveling the Sony will do just fine :)
SONY's competing version should only cost $4k.

I'd rather have a more modest range and acceptable image quality. 18-400 will be a dog unless the designers have figured out how to get around the physical laws of optics.

SONY's competing version should only cost $4k.
LOL, yeah, one main reason I cant see myself moving totally to Sony is lens prices and lack of serious third party lenses working with Sony e mount.

I'm looking forward to this release. Hopefully they figured out how to keep sharp image quality with that large of a focal range.

I have used the Tamron 16-300 for 2years now and it is perfect for travelling. But I do have to say, the quality is not that good. I always have to use some lightroom, and then I'm happy with it. (you can see loads of pictures on my flickr, 95% is with that lens.
Also on close focus it is more of a 16-210, on long distance maybe 16-250~275.

I'm guessing the quality of the 18-400 will be similar to the 16-300, but probably will act like a 18-300 on close focus and 18-350ish on the long end. So yes, a bit further, but I rather have the extra 2mm at the wide-angle.

Has anyone tried this lens now that it is out?

I have seen sample pics from it. And they are comparable to other lenses of that design. With computer designs and such, it's to be expected that they keep extending the range of the super zooms. Just look at the little point and shoots with 60x optical zoom range. This one is only 22.2x.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back