Q: Post budget wedding blues

I understand what you mean, I'm sort of in the same position. I've done a bunch of wedding shooting but really only one on my own. I set my prices well into the average for my area, but I would certainly consider lowering my price to get more experience, if the situation was right.

As people have said, being successful is more about being a good business person and a good people person, than being a great photographer. You could charge $10,000 an hour, with no experience...if you are a good enough salesman. Unfortunately, there are many photographers who are probably overselling their talent level...well I guess it's not unfortunate for them.

Part of the point I was trying to make was that for long term success it would be beneficial if jobs went smoothly. People that I have talked to, often say that things go more smoothly with higher paying clients...that's a generalization and maybe part myth...but if you had the choice, would you rather shoot two $700 weddings in a month, or one $2000 wedding?

Further to that, once you are established...it makes sense to raise your prices until it causes you to loose too many clients. The law of diminishing returns.

Also, once you have a personal style...wouldn't it be best if all your clients wanted that style? Many successful pros have a distinct style and high prices...which ensures that most clients are coming to them for that style...which makes things easier and smoother for them. It's a win-win...but getting to that point probably isn't as easy as it sounds.

Just remember to be patient. You need to build your business. I remember the days of $500 weddings... everyone must pay their dues. Keep at it and you'll be commanding big money before you know it.

Most reactions

Back