SNIP>
I can certainly see the advantage of longer life and quicker recycles, but I'm not so sure that I'd be OK with having a cord tethered to my camera. Seems like it might be more hassle than changing batteries once every couple of hours.
Yes, the main problem with the Quantum batteries is the pigtail cord between the flash and the Quantum battery--it "tethers" you to the battery. Every time you want to put down the camera, you must unplug the cord from the battery, or remove the battery from your belt clip, or in the case of the mondo Turbo, you need to take the shoulder strap off. The original Turbo was SO heavy and large it's simply un-wearable as a belt-clip battery. For photojournalism uses, the Turbo was an excellent battery system back in the 1980's, which was before the advent of today's kick-butt, ultra-performance batteries and super-efficient flash units and high-ISO digital cameras. When shooting hundreds of flash shots on a film like VPS 160 downrated to ASA 100, the needed flash output was double or quadruple what is needed with a modern d-slr that can shoot great flash shots at ISO 200 or 400, not to mention ISO 800, so back in the day, Quantum battery solutions were wonderful innovations.
But today's more powerful batteries and things like Nikon's SB 800 with the fifth battery door added have greatly reduced the need for an external battery pack for all but the most rapid-fire situations. The fifth battery provides an incredible boost to recycle times,and is why I like the SB 800 so,so much compared with earlier generation flashes that just used 4x 1.5 volt AA's. Now that we can shoot great pictures at ISO 200, 250,or 320 or even 400 ISO and not 100, recycle times are much quicker simply because so,so much less actual flash output is needed!!
What DOES intrigue me, and might be of interest to the OP are the Turbo battery + SP Studio Systems portable AC/DC monolights like this one
SPC1600ACDC SP Studio Systems Excalibur Series Lancerlight SPC-1600 AC/DC Monolight Strobe.
I know she does bands and location fashion/portraiture, and the SP Studio Systems got a really great recommendation from a mobile photog I used to know in the early 2000's. He swore by the SP AC/DC monolights for location work.