What's new

Question about camera gear

nesh87

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 2, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone I’m really confused about Camera gear. Please help me out.

Which is the best option for me if i want to photograph family with toddler (indoor and outdoor) , potraits and when i travel, little bit of landscape. It will be as hobby, might take it professionally if it works out. My priority is subject sharpness, bokeh and background separation. Also i dont wanna spend time editing photos, the max i wanna do is batch processing of presets.



Op 1 - canonR8+ rf 35 f1.8+rf 85f2 lenses- cost 3120$

Op 3-Tamron lense 35-150mm f2+ sony a7cii- cost 4300$

Op 5 Tamron lense above+nikon z5ii- cost 4000$



Thanks in advance.
 
Well, my first suggestion is that it will not take long to discover that batch processing of presets will get you nowhere very quickly. As for your gear, if all you're ever going to do is landscapes and portraits, then the Canon list is probably OK. Personally, I would hate to be limited to 2 primes forever. As you discover other subjects, you'll be buying more glass, but for starting with what you've said, those will do.
 
Any of those camera bodies will more than do what you want. It all depends on which system you want to invest. Looks like you are high on the Tamron 35-150 f/2 and it should work well with most of what you are wanting to shoot. I've always been partial to Nikon glass and color science but, that is just me.
 
Any of the gear you listed will be fine, you need to choose the brand you want as that is what glass you will be buying if/when you expand your gear.

The 35 is great for landscape, the 85 for portraits, but a zoom does that and gives you more options without stopping to change a lens out to switch back and forth.
 
Any of the gear you listed will be fine, you need to choose the brand you want as that is what glass you will be buying if/when you expand your gear.

The 35 is great for landscape, the 85 for portraits, but a zoom does that and gives you more options without stopping to change a lens out to switch back and forth.

Any of those camera bodies will more than do what you want. It all depends on which system you want to invest. Looks like you are high on the Tamron 35-150 f/2 and it should work well with most of what you are wanting to shoot. I've always been partial to Nikon glass and color science but, that is just me.
Thanks! Could you please suggest cheaper mirrorless camera body options for this tamron lense. Since I’m a beginner, i dont want to spend that much on the body if the results will be on par or not that significant.
 
Thanks! Could you please suggest cheaper mirrorless camera body options for this tamron lense. Since I’m a beginner, i dont want to spend that much on the body if the results will be on par or not that significant.
Yes, but you will have to go used. I shot a Nikon Z5 (not the Z5 ii) for 2 years and it gave me great results. I ended up selling it and going back to dSLRs (d500/d850) just because I like them better. Here is a link to a reputable used camera dealer I have used with great success.
 
My tip: always buy the best gear you can afford, otherwise you will regret it very soon ....
 
I like the 85-f2 for the portraits. Good amount of blur for the background. For the landscapes, I don't see a need for anything below f3.5. You can probably stay as narrow as even f4.5. In landscapes, you're going to want to use small apertures to keep the whole image sharp. I'd go with either a 15-35 or something like a 28-70 for the landscapes.
 
My tip: always buy the best gear you can afford, otherwise you will regret it very soon ....
I've brought many cameras that were well within the available budget at the time. spending three times more would have given minimal improvements, that often would not been seen in the results.

A beginner will not suffer at all using a camera body that's 5 years (or even 10 years) behind today's state of the art.
 
I think I agree with the above. In my experience, advanced features were a bit overwhelming until I got the basics down to a science. Also, some of the bells and whistles on my now advanced camera, while nice, would have prevented me from learning the basics.

No need spending extra money on a body with more features than you can handle. If cost isn’t a major factor, save the cash for now. You might discover you want another lens after a year or so.
 
As for going used, I have not bought a new camera since getting my n8008 back in the 80s. I'll buy lenses new or used, but bodies have always been used, and I'll upgrade as I bump into limitations. Lenses are forever, bodies can change as the need arises.

(I'm the same way with cars... I haven't had a new car since 1995.)
 
The best pcitures of kids are when you get down to their level rather than shooting down at them. Get a camera where the back view screen articulates up 90 degrees so you can keep the camera low and look down at the viewfinder. You'll save your back and need to climb onto the floor.
 
Hi everyone I’m really confused about Camera gear. Please help me out.

Which is the best option for me if i want to photograph family with toddler (indoor and outdoor) , potraits and when i travel, little bit of landscape. It will be as hobby, might take it professionally if it works out. My priority is subject sharpness, bokeh and background separation. Also i dont wanna spend time editing photos, the max i wanna do is batch processing of presets.



Op 1 - canonR8+ rf 35 f1.8+rf 85f2 lenses- cost 3120$

Op 3-Tamron lense 35-150mm f2+ sony a7cii- cost 4300$

Op 5 Tamron lense above+nikon z5ii- cost 4000$


Thanks in advance.
Also, when thinking about long-term plans or turning a hobby into something more serious, it’s useful to look at broader opportunities too - for example, how to find jobs in cyprus, where companies like Punin Group provide structured career paths and clearer entry points into different fields.
I was in the exact same spot not long ago - honestly you’re overthinking the body a bit. Put more budget into good glass and you’ll see way more difference in your photos than chasing the latest camera 👍
 
The OP left the building on 3-2...Read the dates, y'all.
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom