Question about combining filters

hartz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought a UV filter for my D3000 today. Used to just leave one on my old camera permanently but it took me a week before I got one for my new camera.

I then went out to take some photos but we had a dismally rainy and cloudy day today. I have never owned a polariser but today made me think I could have gotten a few shots if I had one.

But this makes me wonder: Do I combine the polarizer with the UV filter, or do I use only the one or the other? What disadvantages would it have to combine the two?

Thanx!

P.S. I got a few new nice indoor shots of my friend's son. I'll post one here ... oh I must install Java first. Will post it after....

What disadvantages would it have to combine the two?....
Possible vignetting. Unless it is a slim framed filter, you can stack filters till the cows come home.

Plus, even more loss of contrast, even worse lens flare since you're adding yet another air gap.

Why leave a UV filter, or any other filter, on permanently?

What does a UV filter do for your photos?

Some people use a UV filter for 'protection', but digital camera, analog image sensors include a UV filter.

Plus, even more loss of contrast, even worse lens flare since you're adding yet another air gap.

Why leave a UV filter, or any other filter, on permanently?

What does a UV filter do for your photos?

Some people use a UV filter for 'protection', but analog image sensors include a UV filter.

My biggest reason for using one would be in case the lens cap decided to pop off inside my bad.

The only practical use of a UV filter I can see is for your eyes if you're looking trough the viewfinder and directly into the sun or something..

I bought a UV filter for my D3000 today. Used to just leave one on my old camera permanently but it took me a week before I got one for my new camera.

I then went out to take some photos but we had a dismally rainy and cloudy day today. I have never owned a polariser but today made me think I could have gotten a few shots if I had one.

But this makes me wonder: Do I combine the polarizer with the UV filter, or do I use only the one or the other? What disadvantages would it have to combine the two?

Thanx!

P.S. I got a few new nice indoor shots of my friend's son. I'll post one here ... oh I must install Java first. Will post it after....

Where did you get the idea that a "dismally rainy and cloudy day today" is the time to use a polarizer? I have never heard that. It is only effective if the light is polarized. And the only time I have ever got a polarizer to work is on SOME bright days. Not all bright days

quote:
"Polarization by scattering is observed as light passes through our atmosphere. The scattered light often produces a glare in the skies. Photographers know that this partial polarization of scattered light leads to photographs characterized by a washed-out sky. The problem can easily be corrected by the use of a Polaroid filter. As the filter is rotated, the partially polarized light is blocked and the glare is reduced. The photographic secret of capturing a vivid blue sky as the backdrop of a beautiful foreground lies in the physics of polarization and Polaroid filters."
Polarization

Also the use of a polarizer will reduce light transmission. This would generally not be a good thing on "dismally rainy and cloudy day"
But it can be helpful on a bright day whether or not the light is polarized. It can be used with ND filters to tone down a brilliant shot enough to get a decent result. (into the sun more or less)

Whether to use them together is personal preference. Look for vignetting otherwise they can be used together. Some are called hybrid polarizers. That is they are UV and polarizer in the same unit.

I have never had any formal training in photography. Most of what I "know" is made up of guess work, pieces puzzeled together from forum posts and reviews that I've read, things explained to me by friends, etc. Much of this may be misinterpretations, misunderstood, or at least partially wrong. This is WHY I am here on this forum - to learn!

Where did you get the idea that a "dismally rainy and cloudy day today" is the time to use a polarizer? I have never heard that. It is only effective if the light is polarized. And the only time I have ever got a polarizer to work is on SOME bright days. Not all bright days

My understanding is that there are always at least SOME scattered light. The more cloudy, misty or hazy it is, the more scattered the light is. A Polarizer only allows light through on a narrowly aligned range. Thus the more scattered the light, the more the polarizer will filter out.

I got the idea SOMEWHERE that a polarizer will reduce hazyness.

In terms of already polarized light, such as that on a bright sunny day, rotating the polarizer will cause it to "cut out" a large portion of this light when it is turned to be aligned against the polarization, and let in most light when it aligns with the polarized light.

quote:
"Polarization by scattering is observed as light passes through our atmosphere. The scattered light often produces a glare in the skies. Photographers know that this partial polarization of scattered light leads to photographs characterized by a washed-out sky. The problem can easily be corrected by the use of a Polaroid filter. As the filter is rotated, the partially polarized light is blocked and the glare is reduced. The photographic secret of capturing a vivid blue sky as the backdrop of a beautiful foreground lies in the physics of polarization and Polaroid filters."
Polarization

Polarization by scattering .... My understanding is that that is the wrong way round. Please someone educate me!

Also the use of a polarizer will reduce light transmission. This would generally not be a good thing on "dismally rainy and cloudy day"

Yes, it filters out a portion of the light - whatever is not aligned with the filter polarization angle.

But it can be helpful on a bright day whether or not the light is polarized. It can be used with ND filters to tone down a brilliant shot enough to get a decent result. (into the sun more or less)

Does anybody have examples to show me this? I don't understand :blushing:...

Whether to use them together is personal preference. Look for vignetting otherwise they can be used together. Some are called hybrid polarizers. That is they are UV and polarizer in the same unit.

OK, got that...

Most reactions

Back