Question about storing images and backing up photos

JoanneD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I am new to the group and had a question about the best way to store images. The pictures I take are for my own personal use and I am not a professional photographer (at least not yet). I currently backup my images two ways. 1) Upload to Kodak Gallery and 2) Backup to my own external hard drive. I take the images off the SD cards fairly quickly. I never want to lose my photos or not be able to recover them in case of a disaster. I don’t like burning onto CDs as I think that lowers the quality and the CDs are subject to scratches, etc.

Can anyone recommend other methods or sites (paid or free) that you are satisfied with and you use to store your photos?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Joanne

Have you done a search for 'backup' or 'storage'?

That will unearth long discussions on this very topic.

Burning onto CD's or DVD's will not compromise quality; with digital images, any medium will make a perfect copy. Most people use multiple hard drives for back-up, with at least one kept in a different building. Hard drives are pretty cheap.

............ Most people use multiple hard drives for back-up, with at least one kept in a different building. Hard drives are pretty cheap.

I have 5. One one my desk, backing up 2 drives every night, two are in the safe, one at a trusted neighbor's, and one 4 states away.

I store photos on a network attached storage device with drives configured as a redundant pair (RAID1) for high availability. I then back that up once a month and store the spare drive at work in a bomb proof building.

Incidentally if you offline backups like this make sure you exercise them frequently. Drives left standing off for long periods of time can suffer from sticktion and may not be able to spin up again.

My images are copied to a CD and a "bingo card" made as soon as they are taken off the camera.
In addition, the entire photos folder on my Linux system is backed up (uncompressed) to USB thumb drives
every few days. My film camera images are of course "stored" on the original negatives.

Last edited:
:er:

Hi everyone,

I am new to the group and had a question about the best way to store images. The pictures I take are for my own personal use and I am not a professional photographer (at least not yet). I currently backup my images two ways. 1) Upload to Kodak Gallery and 2) Backup to my own external hard drive. I take the images off the SD cards fairly quickly. I never want to lose my photos or not be able to recover them in case of a disaster. I don’t like burning onto CDs as I think that lowers the quality and the CDs are subject to scratches, etc.

Can anyone recommend other methods or sites (paid or free) that you are satisfied with and you use to store your photos?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Joanne

Most reactions

New Topics

Back