Question for wedding professionals about your 2nd shooters.

Ryan L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When hiring a second shooter would you allow them to use the ones they shot in a portfolio?

I have shot a few weddings now, both alone and as a second shooter. Today I shot 2nd for a photographer I just met, he had me use his CF cards so we didnt have to try to get together and get him the files. Thats fine, I think half the fun is the post processing, but his wedding, his creative design I guess. I would like to ask to use a few of the ones I shot in my portfolio. I dont want them all, just a couple. What is the standards for all you pros?

What does your contract say?

In all honesty, I have never had to hire a second, but if I were to... what kind of person would I be to not allow them to use the images they shot in their own portfolio? You're the one out their potentially saving his/her a**, so unless it explicitly states in the contract that any images shot by you cannot be used by you... well, are they not yours as the shooter?

Good luck building your portfolio man, share it with us when you feel ready ~

Last edited:
My girlfriend used to shoot for a wedding studio in Baltimore and they didn't allow her to use the photos she took in her portfolio, she only shot four weddings for them. Now she is shooting as a second for a pro and he allows her to use the photos, but the contract clearly specifies that she has to wait 90 days to be able to use them.
So it all depends on what the contract says.

I signed 2 second shooter contracts. They both say I cant post them on social media any sooner than 5 weeks after the event. When I post them I must put the info of the first shooter. Meaning if you put it on your portfolio, you must be able to put text next or underneath it explaining about the 1st shooter. If you cant do that, then you must put it in the gallery. So for example on my zenfolio first page I have a slideshow. The slideshow just spits out random photo without captions. So I wont be able to put it there. But I can start a gallery and put explaination who the 1st shooter was.

It is also stated that shots taken by me he will put my name on the credit.

There was no contract, ....yeah I thought it was odd myself. He has shot over 30 weddings, so I would assume he would have had one. Thats all I want to do is throw it up in my zenfolio gallery. I guess I can only ask.

There was no contract, ....yeah I thought it was odd myself. He has shot over 30 weddings, so I would assume he would have had one. Thats all I want to do is throw it up in my zenfolio gallery. I guess I can only ask.

Well, that's your first problem. Hate being this way in business and wish everything could just be done on a word and a phandshake, but never do anything without a contract. But at least this works to your advantage in your situation. Verbal agreements are next to useless, and with no contract, everything defaults to whatever standard copyright law is. And that means the images aree still yours, which means you can technically do whatever you want. I would just talk to the photographer and tell him what you want to do. Without a contract, he would have a pretty hard time making a case for not letting you do that.

Also, 30 weddings isn't a ton. Some people do that many eve year.

I agree, if it would have been the other way around...he would have signed one. I will give him a few to work on what he has and ask him. You're right 30 isnt a ton, 30 a year though...I would pull my hair out (what I do have left). I wouldnt have time to pp any of them! Of course in Michigan there arent a ton of weddings in the winter months. So we are cramming them into a few months out of the year,

I know I am a little late on this but I would ask if it's cool. I had an issue with one of my second shooters doing this. She had originally started as my staff but after the wedding she decided to start her own business then used those photos as hers to promote her competing business. Generally I wouldn't care because like everyone said, you shoot em and they are yours but all I would have asked was her to say they were taken while under my wing. She was new to photography and I was really helping her out. A little credit would have been nice since I did get the business/pay her/give her direction and insight.

Now I am just rambling, anyway, my point was just ask and I am sure it would be fine.

I have a second shooter and a signed contract with her. In the contract I state she may use any images she shoots as a second photographer for me in her portfolio provided the following wording accompanies the image on her website or print portolio "wedding photography by "her name" for Sandra Adamson photography and design." I also state in the contract an images taken with my equipment-copyright remains with me. Currently she uses my equipment.

www.sandraadamson.com www.sandraadamson.blogspot.com

Most reactions

New Topics

Back