Question on Developers

Commonman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Two questions on developers:

Is there any developer that one can use for both the film processing (in the tank) and in the tray for RC paper?

Also, I'm trying to find a good developer (for film processing in the tank)that comes in a liquid concentrate. I am working on trying to get the best negatives possible.

I am using both 35mm and 120 B &W film. I usually use T-Max 100 or 400, Kodak Tri-Pan or Ilford Delta pro 100 or 400 (I suppose I should settle down with one type of film),

Helen B

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
By and large any developer designed for paper processing will be rather energetic as a general purpose pictorial film developer. It will be very fast working, contrasty and grainy - like instant push processing. The opposite would be true. I've used Dektol for Tri-X for gritty stuff. Photographer's Formulary Universal and Ilford PQ Universal are less contrasty and grainy than Dektol, hence the names. I used PQ Universal quite a lot once upon a time.

There are quite a few good liquid concentrate developers. Of the general purpose ones, Ilford DD-X is one of may favourites. It isn't cheap to use though. Some others:

Clayton F60 and F76;
Kodak HC-110;
PyroCat-HD, PyroCat-MC, Prescysol EF, DiXactol Ultra - all sold by Photographer's Formulary in the USA;
Edwal FG-7

There's also Rodinal, which many people have a fanatical devotion to.

Best,
Helen

OP
Commonman

Commonman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Helen,

Thanks for the info. I've been using HC-110 and will probably stick with it since it seems to work fine and is easy to mix up.

Checked out your photos - FANTASTIC!

OP
Commonman

Commonman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I started out using Dektol and was very happy with the result. However, I hate dealing with powders.

OP
Commonman

Commonman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sabbath, will check out your photos.

Are you a Black Sabbath fan?

Alpha

Troll Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Don't waste Rodinal by developing prints in it.

OP
Commonman

Commonman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Helen,

I noticed you shot some of your photos with a Nikkormat. I just acquired one of these and used it for the first time yesterday. I know...who cares but I was unfamiliar with these cameras until last week.

It has a 28 mm lens. The processed the film last night and the negatives look good, I must say.

Helen B

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Helen,

I noticed you shot some of your photos with a Nikkormat. I just acquired one of these and used it for the first time yesterday. I know...who cares but I was unfamiliar with these cameras until last week.

It has a 28 mm lens. The processed the film last night and the negatives look good, I must say.

They are excellent cameras. In some ways they are even more robust than the F. I bought three of them in the seventies and kept them until earlier this year. Good luck with yours.

Best,
Helen

OP
Commonman

Commonman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Helen,

Yes, this is an Nikkormat "FT" and it's working out well.

Most reactions