Question on downside to using NX2 in combination with Lightroom 4

odiy33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a D7000 and I ran into an issue where the picture looks great on the back of my camera (and histogram) then when importing to lightroom, picture goes to crap, darkens and colors dim. I now understand why this happens, but still was hoping to find a preset or a way to make my picture look more like my original raw image looks before import. I have tried presets, creating my own as well as others, and haven't found one to work as well as I would like. So I downloaded and tried NX2, picture looks 100% match to what i see on the back of my camera. So on to the question.

Is there any downside (in regards to image quality or loss there of) to opening all my images in NX2, saving the images as .TIFF files , THEN importing them into lightroom.

I've done it with a couple photos and it seems to work great, but just want to make sure I'm not hurting anything exporting a .TIFF to jpeg instead of a .NEF to jpeg.

Thanks

Aren't you defeating the main purpose of Lightroom? How do you organizing your photo library by download with ViewNX2 and port it to Lightroom? I would chose one or the other. I will not use TIFF to transfer as a rule, only as a "as-needed" basis. You can shoot and store in RAW/JPG.

You don't mention which NX2 you downloaded. View is Nikon's freeware basic editor that ships with it's cameras and is available online. Capture NX 2.3 is a full picture editor, and has some great features like color points, and will use your presets. It can do as much if not more then Lightroom 4 in terms of editing, but doesn't have any picture library/organizer.

Personally, I have my own library system, only save a few dozen pictures at best per week, so I don't need anything else.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back