Vautrin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.withoutamapphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I've got a few black and white negatives i'd like to get enlarged as presents.

The local photo lab offers three paper / printing options:

Standard paper
Baryt Standard Paper
Baryt Fine Art Paper
PE Fine Art Paper

The prices are all over the place. One of my pictures is quite nice so I'd definitely think I'd want Fine art paper -- but is PE or Baryt better?

The other enlargement is more sentimental, how much difference would standard or Baryt make?

Does different paper make the image sharper?

Or is there another reason I'd choose Baryt or PE?

Thanks,

Dan

ASk to see samples. Different papers have certain characteristics like cooler or warmer tones depending on brands n type of emulsions. Fine art papers are acid free for longevity n archival mounting. Paper weights differ as well.

As for sharper images... no that is up to the quality of the negative and a good eye of the person enlarging it.

What is PE? I hate these abreviations as if it only means one thing in the world.... Phys Ed?

All the lab options sound like ink-jet paper. If you have a fine black and white photographic negative the best possible thing would be to have it enlarged onto fine black and white photographic paper.

I'd recommend gelatin-silver double-weight fibre base glossy. There are many fine brands. And archival processing to let your pictures live for centuries would truly celebrate the worthiness of those negatives.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back