Questioning shutter count

I wouldn't worry to much about it. The shutter life expectancy numbers are really not that useful. They are only a very rough estimate of the MINIMUM expected number of shutter actuations not the maximum.

As for the general digital cameras get X # of shutter count. Read up a little more. Every single model of camera has it's own number, some like the D500 will be in the hundreds of thousands because it is expected to be used with a higher frame rate than say a D5000 series.

Every one of my cameras have been over their shutter count for years. I blew past the 7Dmk2 shutter count in the first year of owning it. Am I worried? No. It's what this camera was designed for. If it were my old T5I with the better side of a million shutter actuations then yes it would be on my mind.

Refurbished does not equate to replace everything to make it new. Not in any industry. It literally means "Do the least amount to the product to make it function and get it out the door." The only thing factory refurbishing really accomplishes is parting you with a bit more money than if bought second hand.

Now with your shutter count on a D500 would I be worried. Not at all if it functions well. That is a beast of a camera.

I wouldn't worry to much about it. The shutter life expectancy numbers are really not that useful. They are only a very rough estimate of the MINIMUM expected number of shutter actuations not the maximum.

As for the general digital cameras get X # of shutter count. Read up a little more. Every single model of camera has it's own number, some like the D500 will be in the hundreds of thousands because it is expected to be used with a higher frame rate than say a D5000 series.

Every one of my cameras have been over their shutter count for years. I blew past the 7Dmk2 shutter count in the first year of owning it. Am I worried? No. It's what this camera was designed for. If it were my old T5I with the better side of a million shutter actuations then yes it would be on my mind.

Refurbished does not equate to replace everything to make it new. Not in any industry. It literally means "Do the least amount to the product to make it function and get it out the door." The only thing factory refurbishing really accomplishes is parting you with a bit more money than if bought second hand.

Now with your shutter count on a D500 would I be worried. Not at all if it functions well. That is a beast of a camera.
But with buying refurbished from the factory, they did MORE then what 99% of all ebay and "camera store" people do when they claim to sell a refurbished camera.

Refurbished does not mean remanufactured with all new parts.

They only replace what is broken or worn to the point of failure. If the shutter was working fine when inspected, they left it as is.

Speaking of shutter count, I've wondered how the different manfacturers handle elctronic shutter on mirrorless as there are no moving parts. To me, these should not be counted against the total.

680,000? Talk about spray and pray. I can't imagine reviewing that many shots.

I suspect you'll be fine and get plenty of use out of it for years to come.

Refurbished does not mean remanufactured with all new parts.
Indeed. In aviation this is defined by regulation. Generally we overall engines every 2000 hours. But, by law, the engine retains it original logbook and time. The factory can perform what is referred to a zero-time meaning the engine is effectively remanufactured to factory specs. It is given a new logbook and the clock starts at 0. The latter is much more expensive.

Most reactions

Back