Questions about use of filters/polarizer - thanks ahead!!

scriptkat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just got a couple of filters for my new DSLR, including a circular polarizer to hopefully bump up the color and contrast of sky/clouds, etc. Does anyone have any tips for using one without the effect being too obvious or inconsistent?
I tried it out on my camera today but am seeing what looks like possible vignetting and inconsistencies in color; do I just need to play around with it more to get a feel for where to set it (I found it hard to see on my LCD what it was doing after each shot though, and I noticed the effect more in post, rather than in the viewfinder)?
Any particular brands of filters that I should avoid? And if anyone would explain further to me the neutral density filter function; not got that one straight in my head yet :)
Any useful advice for me on the subject of filters will be most appreciated. Thank you so much!

Polarisers don't work too well with wide angle lenses, as the amount of polarisation depends on how far away from the sun you are looking. A wide angle lens gets parts of the sky that cover a wide angle, so different parts of the sky will be affected different amounts.,

Circular polarizing (CPL) filters are most effective when the Sun is less than 30° above the horizon and at 90° to the lens axis.

As those values are exceeded. the polarizing effect becomes more and more uneven, regardless the lens used.

A ND filter is used to reduce the amount of light getting in the lens so that a slower shutter speed can be used without using a smaller aperture. For landsacpe shots that have both sky and land in them graduated ND filters (GND) are used to reduce the amount of light in the sky only.

GND filters can be simulated post process. Because GND filters have a horizon across the middle of them, many shooters find it they have more options if they handhold a rectangular or square GND in front of the lens, rather than use a round one screwed to the front of a lens.

Polarisers don't work too well with wide angle lenses, as the amount of polarisation depends on how far away from the sun you are looking. A wide angle lens gets parts of the sky that cover a wide angle, so different parts of the sky will be affected different amounts.,

I'm in the process of reading through your tutorials, I'm at the "Using P, A, S and M Modes" one right now.

Thanks a whole bunch!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back