Quick 450D question

Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My 350D has had a broken LCD for quite a while, I'm thinking of buying a 450D to replace it. Reading the specs tab for the 450D on B&H, under the shutter speed it says "Bulb (up to 30 seconds)".

What the hell does that mean? Are they saying that you can't shoot longer than 30 seconds, even in Bulb? If that's the case, I will definitely NOT buy this camera...
(That is a feature that I do use a lot.)

edit
For comparison, the 1000D just says "bulb", it doesn't have that "up to 30 seconds" in parentheses.

Last edited:
Anyone with a 450D - is it possible to shoot longer than 30 seconds in Bulb?

I'm sure they must have that wrong on B&H. The 350D does 30s as the longest automatic shutter setting, with bulb, the shutter stays open for as long as you hold the shutter button down for. I'd struggle to see the 450D doing anything different - I'd check on the Canon site to see if there's a downloadable manual you can look it up in.

Yeah, I can't see Canon doing something as crazy as limiting the bulb mode to 30 seconds, but then I wonder what they're talking about on B&H...

I'm looking for a PDF of the manual, just to make sure (didn't think of that before).

According to the manual, bulb functions normally.

My 350D has had a broken LCD for quite a while, I'm thinking of buying a 450D to replace it. Reading the specs tab for the 450D on B&H, under the shutter speed it says "Bulb (up to 30 seconds)".

What the hell does that mean? Are they saying that you can't shoot longer than 30 seconds, even in Bulb? If that's the case, I will definitely NOT buy this camera...

Thanks. That does seem wrong or misleading. We'll check it and fix the specs.

Sorry to jack this thread, but JW, how do you guys (on bulb setting) keep the shutter open for REAL long exposures (5-20 minutes) without holding it? Just seems like it would be a pain to have to hold the shutter button for 20 minutes...

Doesn't bulb mode work by opening the shutter with the first press of the button...then closing when you press it again?

Doesn't bulb mode work by opening the shutter with the first press of the button...then closing when you press it again?

Only with the remote. Without the remote, you just hold the button down.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back